PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Windy Walk With Me Wednesday

Thank you all for all your encouragement. The funk is lifting a bit -- the grandbabies are coming in two weeks from today, and I'm certain that thought will continue to lift my spirits.

Another thing that almost always lifts my spirits is being able to go for a walk, no matter how long, before work. Sometimes there is only time for a quick tour around the garden, but just the sense of getting out into the air and the sunlight first thing in the morning always does me good. Many mornings, however, I have to be on shift starting at 5:30, and those mornings are sadly walkless. One very positive thing about the new job, should I get it, is that these early mornings will go away and I will probably start no earlier that 8:00, creating plenty of opportunity for my walks.



It has been quite windy here the last couple weeks. Shingles have been blown all over -- fortunately none of ours -- and leaves and branches now decorate the ground. Strong winds in the spring are a staple of our yearly weather. And every year the winds come along right when the fruit trees are blooming. One year all the flowers blew off the plum tree and it actually bloomed a second time. And we had a great crop that year. This year not so many flowers were lost, but the young fruit took a major hit. Tiny plums litter the ground under the tree. It's always so disappointing to see this. But quite a few still remain on the tree.



Let's hope these manage to hang on. If they do, they will be ready to pick in about four or five weeks.





The pear tree seems to be doing well. I've found very little fruit on the ground. But these, of course, won't be ripe until the beginning of September.

Hope your gardens are doing well!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Yeah for grandbabies, they can lift a spirit in such wonderful ways!

Kiss them and hug them a lot before you know it they will be in highschool!

If its any consolation I'm in a funk too. Not a stitch I have knit since my return from the cruise. Too tired and drained to be any use for the yarn. This too shall pass, for which I am thankful:D

8:35 PM  
Blogger margene said...

Oooo, I've got a thing for pears...will it really be September?

4:42 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

I agree! A walk does wonders for the soul! (may you receive the new job so you may share more walks with us!)

too bad about the plum fruits...
but I am sure it somehow will balance out ...nature usually does.

4:46 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

You take such wonderful pictures! I love visiting your blog.

You are just getting June-drop a bit early. It's nature's way of thinning the fruit so the remaining ones will be big and strong and sweet.

I'm praying for your new job.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home