PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Finally Finished!



It was a long weekend at work. 21 hours over Saturday and Sunday. But enough time to finally finish the Welsh Country stockings. And I am so glad that they are done. It wasn't a problem with the pattern; I really didn't find that the yarn (Schoeller Esslinger "Hit", 100% acrylic) felt good to my hands in a sock gauge. But I hung in there and now they are finally finished. These are for Joe, who wanted a pair of socks for himself. These have taken me so long, that I am certain that he has forgotten all about them. So I've put these aside for a Christmas gift for him. I will wash them sometime before then, and hope that it will ease out the ladders in the socks. I had a terrible time trying not to ladder these socks, and wasn't very successful. I think it was just in the nature of the acrylic. And it's not hard to see why these took so long. Look at the size difference between his socks and one of mine! (Yes, I am married to Bigfoot.)
These will probably be the only Christmas knitting done. I'm trying to avoid casting on for anything new until I get some of my other WIPs finished. However, there's been a pair of mystery socks cast on a few days ago.....


Nana's 91st birthday was Sunday. All the grandchildren, even young Joe from Rhode Island, were present for her little party on Saturday afternoon at the care center. Even I was able to get off work for the party. She was in good shape this weekend, no doubt due to everyone being there. And it was fun for me having all five of the children in the house again and around the dinner table. Hubby Joe cooked a big spaghetti dinner with salad, garlic toast, and apple dumplings with ice cream for dessert. Too bad I had to work so many hours!

This coming weekend, however, I will have off. Joe and I are going to a retreat in Tucson. It will be good to get away for a couple days of quiet and reflection. The weather will probably be pretty warm still, but that's okay. All the better to get out and enjoy the outdoors. And knitting, as well. I promise to take some scenic pictures of the desert in November. All our trees here are at their peak of fall color. Too bad it only lasts such a short time.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I knit a pair of socks with exactly the same yarn - Schoeller "Hit" - a while ago and experienced the same things like you did - the fact that the acrylic didn't feel good at all to the skin while knitting and the fact that I didn't have a chance to prevent the "laddering". You're right, this must be the nature of the acrylic - it's nicer to knit with wool, isn't it?
But nonetheless, the socks turned out very beautifully - considering the fact how huge they are, I think no one can blame you that they took you a while to finish ;) Joe will love them, I'm sure about that!
Have fun at the retreat!

1:59 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Beautiful- Beautiful Welsh Country Stockings! (I clicked to bigify-gorgeous!)
...and no doubt a labor of love....

lucky Joe!

7:22 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Bravo on the finished objects! Yayyyy!!!
And blessings on Nana. 91 - wow!

Have fun on the retreat. Hope it will be refreshing and renewing.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I feel your relief at finishing the socks! Knitting socks for a man is a whole different level of time commitment. I love the two tone style you chose - that is such a great "manly" style. Have a wonderful time in Tuscan - looking forward to seeing the pretty pictures :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Oh - love the socks! Now you can be color coordinated!
Enjoy your R&R in Tuscan - enjoy the warmth - I have the fire going today!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have a "bigfoot" in my family that is clamoring for another pair of socks. The Welsh Stockings might be a possibility after seeing yours....nice job!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home