PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lovely Fibers

Qiviut is a lovely fiber. Too bad it's so...pricey. I could easily knit everything, forever, with this fiber. I finished the qivuit cowl on the flight home from New England last week. Too late to wear for the big snowstorm, but it will work out well for the windy Arizona days next winter.

The cowl is a generous size, using the entire ball of qivuit/merino/silk from Windy Valley Musk Ox. This is all that was left when I finished sewing in the ends.

The cowl scrunches up nicely around the neck, although a bit loosely for my taste. I probably should have dropped down a needle size, and if I make any more of these I certainly will.

On the other hand, it's a perfect size to pull up over my head, and I will probably wear it like this more often than just around the neck. This pattern came with the yarn purchase; the designer now has it and other patterns listed on Ravelry. You can also find my pattern notes here.

When I got back from the trip, a special box was waiting for me. A few weeks ago Margene held a contest and I was lucky enough to get picked as a winning comment. I have been reading Margene's blog for a long time and find that she is a great source of inspiration to me, especially to get at my spinning! The box was crammed with goodies. St. Pat's Day candies, which we've saved for today, and a pretty bookmark.

There was also beautifully scented soap from Blessed Juno, but I didn't take a picture of it at the time and now it's in use every day! There was also this colorful sock yarn from Brooklyn Handspun; Margene really knows the colors I love! This yarn is very soft; I'm thinking of knitting it up in a simple sock pattern to show off the amazing colors.



Finally, there were two packs of fiber for spinning, yak and baby camel!! As I told Margene, the family is just getting used to me knitting with musk ox, and now there is more exotic fiber in the house. Well, they'll just have to deal with it; I think it's fantastic that a body can get to play with such non-traditional fibers. Thank you, Margene, for being so inspirational and generous!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Margene is such a sweet and thoughtful person - that's just a delightful gift!!!

And your cowl is beautiful...I've not knit with Qiviut, but I've held the yarn, and a beautiful scarf my boss brought back from her trip to Alaska - I know you'll be warm wearing that lovely cowl when the wind blows!
(((Hugs)))

7:17 PM  
Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

I love your cowl and think it looks lovely draped around your neck and worn over your head as a scarf. It's really more of a smoke ring style than a cowl, really.

Nice to know you liked the Quivet yarn. I found it pricy and I didn't care for the color selection enough to splurge.

Lucky you to win such a cool prize!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

You look positively beautiful in your lovely new cowl.

4:51 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

That cowl is stunning. I so admire your lace-knitting skills! And what a splendid package. Wah hoo!

8:10 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

PAT

Your cowl is lovely. Worn both ways! Happy creativity surge!! Spring comes to you and I am so weary of winter!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home