PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Swing With Me Wednesday

Sometimes some really odd thoughts come unbidden to mind. I was preparing this post about our canopy tour in Jamaica, riding the harness and lines through the treetops from platform to platform, when a thought occurred to me about life as it is nowadays.

A hundred years ago our ancestors probably would have considered living to their mid-fifties as reaching a ripe old age. Family history has it's stories of relatives who didn't make it past their twenties, due to the lack of medical care that we take for granted today. Certainly my own grandparents never traveled much if at all, and when they did it was very low key. Certainly not anything highly adventurous.

I certainly couldn't see my grandparents riding ziplines or even traveling so far in their mid-fifties. Yet nowadays we take it for granted. Joe and I are both fortunate to not have any health issues that preclude us from living a full life with a multitude of adventures that our grandparents and even perhaps our parents could not have imagined. I felt just like a kid swinging through the trees.



Even if my hair is gray and the old waistline disappeared quite a while ago. Hey, Tarzan, here comes Jane!






Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

wow!

that looks like soooo much fun!

4:42 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

WaaaaaahHOOOO! I totally want to go cruising with you. You guys do the FUN stuff!!

7:20 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

OMG that looks like so much fun!! Just like a kid again!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

You are so brave!!!
WOW!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

What a cute post! So true. I particularly felt like you say in Nepal where the life expectancy is 45 for women.

You are doing fantastic!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home