PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Sail With Me Wednesday

Can you imagine anything more "let's get away from January" than sailing in a Grand Cayman bay on a racing catamaran? Two weeks ago today this is where you could have found us, providing that we were amenable to being found.

The weather was absolutely perfect, and the brisk wind totally refreshing. Our sail took us out to Grand Cayman's Stingray City, where we swam with the stingrays. I wasn't too sure about doing this when Joe signed us up for this tour, but I found myself getting excited when we saw stingrays circling the catamaran. I couldn't wait to get into the water. The water temperature was rather cool, but such that you wouldn't notice it once you were in it.

The stingrays came along brushing up against us. It is incredible how large they are, and not a bit slimy or creepy. A bucket of squid was brought out so that we could feed them. I declined, but Joe had a grand time. At one point he had at least two dozen stingrays circling him, waiting for a treat. Most of the other folks on the tour didn't stay in the water very long, but I stayed in for quite a while and they practically had to drag Joe back into the boat. We were able to rinse off with fresh water and then the sails were raised for our trip back to the dock.

Guess who got drafted to sail the big catamaran back?

Not to worry, we used to sail years ago on the Detroit River and lakes.



Everyone on the tour was referring to Joe as "Captain Jack" (Sparrow). Perhaps he should have been sailing this ship instead!



Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

I LOVE swimming with the stingrays! they are so other-worldly. They feel like wet suede, and they brush their wings against your legs to beg for squid. What a marvelous experience! Is sailing a ship like riding a bicycle? The sort of thing you never forget? Or do the skills get rusty?

And oh, oh, oh, that glorious blue sky and aquamarine ocean! Break my heart in longing!

7:50 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Gorgeous! OH what I would give for a bit of that sunshine, and just a toe in the water..heck, I'd settle for a deep breath and some salty mist on my face!

Thanks for taking me sailing, its been awhile!

6:17 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh Pat, those colors. It is grey grey winter here in Chicago. I LOVE YOUR POSTS

7:44 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

OK now I'm getting excited! Our cruise leaves New Orleans on March 2 and goes to Meridia and Cozumel. Can't wait!!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home