PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Blankie for a Birthday Girl





I haven't been posting about too much knitting because I've been devoting myself to finishing the Moderne Baby Blanket. If you recall, I started this blanket for granddaughter Felicity on the day she was born, March 4, 2007. She was born on her grandpa Joe's birthday and I cast on that same afternoon. The blanket languished in one of my work bags for quite a while until I decided I had better get busy and finish it up for her first birthday. The pattern is Mason Dixon Knitting's Moderne Baby Blanket. I used four colors of Dreambaby DK, which while soft and washable might be a bit too soft and drapey for my personal taste. I used a little under two skeins of the cream color, and slightly over two skeins each of the light green, dark green, and blue. There is a fair amount of yarn left over that I will save and use for something else someday. I followed the pattern exactly, except that I chose to do a knitted-on Icord edging in the cream color. I really like the Icord for edgings; the neatness really appeals to me. I don't know, though, if I will do another project again that is this big using only garter stitch. But I am quite pleased with the results and no regrets about doing this. The blanket has been wrapped and sent on its' way to the east coast, where it should arrive in time for Little Missy's birthday on Tuesday.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

That's really really beautiful - and looks super soft and cozy too!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

How pretty! I love your color choices...
(((hugs)))

7:40 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Too soft and drapey? How can a banky be too soft? This is something that will comfort and cuddle and snuggle for years. It's gotta be soft! The fact that it's stunningly beautiful as well is pure bonus!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

Beautiful job on the blanket!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home