PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

J is for...

Jogless Jog.

I'd read about the Jogless Jog in Handknitting With Meg Swansen, but it never made much sense and I couldn't get it to work when I tried it. It wasn't until I got the DVD Knitting Glossary that it began to sink into my thick skull, and when I got the the video A Swedish Dubbelmossa it really and truly made sense. Finally. And it works. Behold the "Very Warm Hat" from The Opinionated Knitter by Elizabeth Zimmermann.

Oh, you can see the jog if you really look for it. But I can pick up the finished hat and not see it at all while just casually handling it. Here is one side...

And here is the other. The join is there, but so minute that no one will notice when Joe is wearing it in Alaska this fall.

Specs: Cascade 200 in Light and Dark Gray, less than one skein each. US Size 7 needles. Modifications: I cast on 112 stitches instead of the 91 called for in the pattern, and added an extra stripe above and below the two color pattern.

Joe says it seems a little too big for him, although I think it fits him just fine. He thinks I ought to try shrinking it down a bit, but I'm afraid that if I try I'll end up with something much too small. Hopefully he will just get used to it. It certainly is a very warm hat.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

You could get some elastic thread and run it through the dark stripes. Or, you could just get some nice waistband elastic, sew it to fit his head, and fold it into the hat when he folds up the brim. I'd be terrified to try to shrink that work just enough.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Great job! At least it will be warm for him...you could try telling him that heads swell in the winter...
(I know, it's just a funny)
:)

8:47 AM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

Beautiful job on the hat. I think a bigger hat is warmer and comfy in the winter.

3:14 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

OH my!!! It is a work of art!! Love love love it!!

5:37 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

PS - I tagged you with a meme.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Yes, it is a work of art and is very sharp too. I think Joe will look handsome wearing it.

12:22 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

There must be a way to gain weight in your head..........hmmmmmm. but how

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home