PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Monday, June 09, 2008

An Extremeness of Weather

It's been a lousy couple of weeks, attested to by severe lack of posting. The extremeness of the weather has accounted for an extremeness of being under the weather, for both Joe and I.

Let's go back to where we left off, getting ready for Barbara's high school graduation. This is traditionally held outside on the football field, with the students on the field and masses of family in the stands and milling about everywhere. The weather was deteriorating all afternoon, with very high winds, chilly temperatures, and rain showers in the forecast. We were hoping that the powers that be would decide to move the ceremony indoors, but alas! Reasonable minds did not prevail.

We tried to dress accordingly. Joe and I both wore winter jackets and knit caps, and I had a woolen scarf and some fingerless mitts. The kids did not dress quite so warmly and were raiding the back of the car for blankets, old towels, anything that would add some warmth. The wind was gusting over 50 MPH, making the air dusty and freezing! The rain clouds were hanging off the horizon and over the top of the mountains. We stood out in this for over two hours. The graduates' caps were blowing away as well as the speakers' papers. We couldn't wait for the show to be over and to head for home, where we made up bowls of hot chocolate to cut the chill. You can tell from Barbara's picture how the wind was blowing.

Fortunately the rain - and mountain snow - held off until we were home. The next day the mountain tops were snowy white once more. (Sorry, no pictures, it was melted by the time I got home from work.) It was the first time that it had snowed on Memorial Day weekend, at least to my recall and the recall of everyone I know.

But the inevitable result was that the bronchitis and respiratory ailments that Joe and I had dealt with after Easter came back with a vengeance. We both were back on antibiotics and this time I had to take some sick time from work, something that I despise having to do. We both seem to be doing better now, except for a lingering cough whenever the wind kicks up the desert dust.

Since I was supposed to be taking things easy, I figured it was a good time to check out a new video and some new knitting. I had been wanting to knit up a Baby Surprise Jacket for quite a while now, just because I've seen and read so much about it. I'd ordered The Opinionated Knitter and Knitting Workshop, but found the instructions to be not as clear as I would have hoped. But all was not lost. I had also picked up Meg Swansen's video on the BSJ and found it to be a wonderful teaching video. Everytime I got to a new section I flicked on the DVD player and played the corresponding instructions. Eureka! A charming little sweater that will be put aside for the next baby in the family. Or the next time I need a baby gift. It took me exactly one week (May 25 to June 1) to finish it, minus the buttons for which I shall have to shop someday.

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket
Size: Newborn-3 months
Needles: US Size 2 (at a gauge of 6 stitches per inch)
Yarn: KnitPicks Essential. Most of a ball of Tucson Multi, as well as part of a ball of Tan 23692, Brown 23697, and a few yards of Gulfstream. This made for a nice Southwest looking sweater. I will definitely be making this pattern again.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

What a way to remember your high school graduation...stupid "powers that be!!"
Congrats to the grad...!
And so sorry about the bugs - I can relate.

I love the BSJ! You did a great job.
(((hugs)))

8:56 AM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

Congrats to your daughter! Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate.

I'm glad you and your husband are feeling better being sick is no fun. The baby sweate came out gorgeous. I've always wanted to make it but there aren't a whole lot of babies being born in the family these days.

Wishing you both continued good health!

9:04 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a marvelous BSJ! Excellent color choice and striping placement.

Hope the antibiotics do the job now. Are you getting live-culture yogurt to repopulate your digestive tract?

Write a letter to the board of education. Bet they didn't even have a back-up plan to fall back on. And you would think the speakers would have had the sense to cut the rhetoric.

6:32 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Everytime I see someone post their Zimmerman baby jacket I want to make it. Yours is perfect for the AZ baby! Great job.

6:36 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

OH NO! SNOW in May? (No wonder you got sick....)

Good to see you posting, things must be getting back on track.... you made good use of your time,the BSJ looks great! The colors are very much in keeping with your landscape down there ;-)

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home