PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Rats

Warning. Pictureless post ahead. Rats.

Things are getting semi back to normal chez Pumpkinknitter. I knew there was a lot involved in planning funerals and everything associated with that, but the situation did get rather overwhelming at times. Everything did go well, as it turned out. Many friends and relatives attended; isn't it too bad that one only sees some of the cousins when there's a death in the family? The situation was complicated by the fact that we all had to fly back to Michigan so that Nana could be buried next to her husband. The weather in Michigan was pretty nasty; wind, cold, damp, and rain. Dirty soggy snow in spots, dry brown grass in others. But the day of the interment was sunny and clear, although colder than we would have liked. What a blessing! We refused to complain about the filthy weather the other days. That is, until we flew home and got stuck in Chicago for a few hours waiting for our plane to arrive. Rats. Thirteen hours after leaving my parents' house to go to the airport, we finally walked in our front door at midnight; at eight a.m. I was in the office. I only took time to unpack a toothbrush, a hairbrush, and clean underwear. It took until yesterday to finally unpack everything, wash two weeks worth of laundry, and clean up the house.

One un-sought benefit of this trip to Michigan was that we were present for my Dad's eighty third birthday. My Mom managed to set up a surprise party at a marvelous Italian restaurant, and the evening was quite a success. It was good to relax and enjoy some great cooking and excellent wines, as well as to celebrate Dad's big day.

There was some stash enhancement that went on. I couldn't fly all the way out to Michigan and not stop in at the LYS to pick up some yarn to tuck in the suitcases going home. Mom went with me again and she stopped cold at the display of a shawl knit in seven or eight different yarns: garter stitch in pinks, reds, and purples with yarn changes every two rows. She wondered how it had been done and I showed her how the different novelty and luxury fibers had been combined to make the shawl. She had been watching me work on the entrelac scarf (travel knitting of choice) and was amazed at the colors in the yarn and the entrelac construction. ("What? You're knitting backwards??") She wandered the shop and watching me paw through Noro Silk Garden, Malabrigo, and Claudia Handpaint. I could see that she was tempted by it all and later she did say that perhaps it was time to start knitting again. I mean, who could resist all that color and texture?

I didn't knit too much over the last couple weeks. I did get a good bit done on the Entrelac scarf; sitting and waiting for a plane to show up needs something to fill the time. The scarf also drew a bit of attention from the other travelers. I haven't been doing much with posting (duh.) or Bloglines either, as there simply was too much to do and family had to come first, of course. One good thing about avoiding the computer and not being at work for ten days was that the soreness in my arm from too much computer work has pretty much disappeared. It was also obvious that the soreness was not caused by knitting too much, as all the knitting I did do didn't bother the arm in the least. Now that I am back at work I am avoiding the computer unless necessary, and trying to be very conscious about ergonomics and all that. But a tiny bit of soreness is creeping back. Rats.

The first Norwegian mitten has been finished and, although it does fit me, it is a tad snugger than I would like. (Rats.) So this pair will go to Maria and the next pair will be knit on needles a size or two larger. I told Joe that he was going to get a pair of mittens for our Alaska trip and he said that he would rather have gloves. I said that, in that case, I would make him a Norwegian style hat instead. "But", he said, "a hat won't keep my hands warm."

And I replied, "Neither will a pair of mittens that you won't wear."

And that was the end of that burning discussion.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

Oh Pat, I'm just getting caught up and I'm so sorry to hear about Nana's passing. But it is good that things turned out as well as they could...

Take care of that arm of yours....try to get some down time.

5:05 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Welcome home! Good thing you weren't on one of those cancelled flights. You 13 hour trip could have taken days!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I'm glad you back and life is returning to normal.

Sending cyber hugs your way:D

1:28 PM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

Glad you made it home safe and that you were able to celebrate you dad's birthday.

Sounds like you went to a really great yarn shop. No wonder your mom was thinking about knitting again!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Nana but glad you got to be with family. It's funny how funerals bring a family together.

As for ergonomics, I swear by a split keyboard. The only problem is we have a laptop at home now and that kills my fingers and hands.

10:04 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Pat

Thank you for the glimpse of your life. You handle things in a way that comes across as faithful and calm.

Good that it was not the knitting causing your arm.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to Michigan now. The filthy stuff is finally gone, and spring is glorious. Come to Lansing and I will take you to yarn shops that will be impossible to resist. But come for good reasons this time. So sorry about your Nana.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home