PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

On the Needles, or, I Think This is Still a Knitting Blog

There are a number of small projects on the needles these days. After finishing the Moderne Baby Blanket, I don't think I'm going to want a major project for a little while yet. So here's what's working:

About a year ago I started playing with some Louet Euroflax, casting on for a Moss Grid Hand Towel from the Mason Dixon Knitting book. I lost interest in this for quite a while, but lately I've been seeing a lot of patterns knit in this yarn. So I've resurrected the hand towel and I'm picking this up at work when things get slow. I'd like to work on this and see if I really like the linen yarn before getting into a big project using this.


Also in my take to work bag is the beginning of an entrelac scarf. I'm using Laura's pattern for this and using the yarn Mary of The Wool Palace sent to me a while back when I was a lucky number commenter. This is Schoeller + Stahl Limbo Color in the colorway 2539. This is becoming a real practice piece for me. I'm using it to practice knitting backwards; if I'm ever going to do a really big entrelac piece someday, like the Lady Eleanor shawl, then I'm certainly going to need to know how to do that. I've also been practising knitting continental style, in preparation for doing some colorwork one of these days. All in all I've been having fun with this.

Sitting at home is my little knitting bag with a new sock in it. I'm sort of using the Basic Sock Recipe from Stephanie, as found in "Knitting Rules", but what I'm really trying to do is knit a sock without referring to a pattern. I want to learn to trust my own knitting and get confident enough to just pick up yarn and knit without thinking about it. This is just a simple project to pick up and go to appointments, car trips, etc. The yarn is Austermann Step in color 09, a lot of browns in it just like an Arizona winter.

I cast on for a Traveler's Stocking from Nancy Bush's "Knitting on the Road", but the Panda Wool just didn't let the pattern show through. It got frogged after several inches and the yarn put away for another project in the future. I still want to knit the pattern, but after researching Ravelry I've decided that I will probably do it in a light colored solid yarn to show the stitches off.

I've really been concentrating on the Shoulder Shawl in Cherry Leaf Pattern from "Victorian Lace Today". I've got fourteen of the fifteen pattern repeats finished. Since I've still got plenty of yarn, I thought about making it larger than the pattern, but I've decided now to make it the size the pattern calls for and use any leftover yarn for another project.

Finally, I've cast on for another little project, but I won't show you that one until I get something worth taking a picture of.

It's spring break this next week and I'm getting swamped with college kids this weekend and the next. I'll still be posting as time permits, in between maintaining a 24 hour kitchen. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I like small projects - I feel like I get so much done! :)
Everything looks scrumptious! Have fun with the kids home...
(((hugs)))

5:40 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Do you like working with the Euroflax? Your entrelac is looking wonderful! And the cherry-leaf lace is just yummy!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

You have got a lot on your needles! I'm also knitting with the Euroflax - making a buscuit wrap.

11:09 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Continental is so much faster - but if your used the the "Other" way it's good practice for two color knitting. I'm trying to carry both colors in the same hand!
I'm into small projects too - must be the season!

4:42 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

oh each wip is lovely. You are amazing.

I'll have sausages, cornmeal pancakes and a scone with clotted cream.

6:16 PM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

Lots of great wips there! I've tried knitting with Euroflax before and didn't really like that much. It sort of has a crisp feel to it but it does soften with each wash.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home