PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Scarf Among Friends




The Friendship Scarf is finally finished, thanks to a massive knitting effort during the Super Bowl. In between providing hot wings and nachos for the males in residence, of course. I didn't expect it to take this long, but that's because I wasn't thinking about how much longer it would take to knit a scarf in fingering weight as compared to worsted weight. Those who are looking for the specs can find them here. This is a very soft scarf and I know that it will get plenty of use. The scarf has not been blocked and it may not be; like Susan, I like the texture that the pattern has in it's unblocked state. But that of course may change at any time.

The scarf also took longer because I did end up ripping out a good bit, due to miscounting and otherwise allowing mistakes to creep in and mess up the pattern. Of course I wouldn't realize that there was a problem until several rows later, making the tinking all the more time consuming. This was totally due to me being completely distracted this last week. Nana was taken to the emergency room last Monday night and she is still in the hospital; her status right now is not very promising. The scarf, which began as cruise knitting, ended up also being hospital knitting, which had a lot to do with the miscounting. But the act of knitting did keep me grounded during a difficult time of trying to get answers out of emergency room doctors, etc, etc.

I've been playing around with some other yarn and another scarf pattern, but mostly now I am knitting on the Moderne Baby Blanket in hopes of finishing it for Felicity's first birthday on March 4. Has it been a year already??

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

Sorry to hear about Nana--sending good thoughts your way....


the scarf is lovely...(I clicked and biggified)--and I like it unblocked too!

7:28 AM  
Blogger margene said...

The scarf is very pretty. You and your Nana will be in my prayers.

8:22 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Nana is in my prayers, too. Thank goodness for knitting in times of stress! Lovely, lovely scarf!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Sorry to hear your Nana is not doing well. I have pieces of knitting that I've worked on in hospital waiting rooms and while I love and cherrish the FO they forever carry that memory with them.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Susan Pandorf said...

Glad the knitting brought you a measure of peace at a difficult time. That is what make it a true "friendship" scarf.

Wrap it round your neck and imagine I am hugging you.

Blessings!

9:37 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Hey, MY birthday is Mar. 4th! What an auspicious day!

7:49 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Pat

I'll say a little prayer for Nana. They get so confused in situations like that. Glad you had your knitting to keep you going. The scarf is amazing.

12:18 PM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

The scarf is gorgeous! My thoughts and prayers are with you and Nana.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home