PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kicking Back. Really.

The week away was all that one could hope for. The weather, on the whole, was pretty good, and didn't interfere with any of our planned activities. Although Joe claimed it was cold in Mazatlan. I didn't think so, but then I'm the hot-blooded member of the family. But you knew that, didn't you. This was a repeat of the cruise we took in October 2006, when it was much too hot and humid to really enjoy any activities. The temperatures this time were far more congenial for scenic pursuits, and since January in Arizona is rather photographically dull compared to the rest of the year, I will have some material for Walk With Me Wednesdays for a couple weeks.

Of course we enjoyed all the normal cruise activities. The rum punches were superb, of course. I was very good about eating (less) and exercising (more) and only gained two pounds, so I am pleased with the results. I would be mortified, though, to tell you how much Joe gained, since he indulged himself to the max. He will lose it all soon enough, I am sure, now that he is back to his usual active work week. And he was always light on his feet dancing.

I thoroughly enjoyed my favorite activities. Walking the top deck for an hour a day. Photographing sunrises and sunsets. Rum punch. Knitting. Reading. Watching for whales. Yes, we did see some! There was only one night - Friday - when the bouncing of the ship started to really affect me. So I just used my universal cure for motion sickness. Crawl into bed and sleep until it's over! I didn't knit as much as I meant to, but then we met some fun new friends and had a great time laughing and talking together. Meeting people is still one of my best parts of a cruise. And coincidentally we met up with an old acquaintance. The cabin steward we had on the October 2006 cruise was also our steward on this one. We all remembered each other and did some catching up on what we have been doing in between then and now. And I rediscovered the sheer joy of reading! I brought along "Pride and Prejudice", which I had never read; I didn't open it for several days but then I was hooked. It really got me out of myself and into another place and time, and did a great deal towards helping me relax and let go of all the stress I'd been experiencing between work and Nana in the care center and everything in general. I'd pick up the knitting for a while but then I would have to go immerse myself in the book again. And since I can only do garter stitch while I read, the Friendship Scarf suffered as a result. But I imagine I will be making real progress on it again now that I am going to use it for my at-work project.

Now that the trip is over, and I've gotten the laundry, the bills, and the grocery shopping out of the way once again, it's time to look at my New Year's resolution to spend more time relaxing and being creative. I think this vacation has put me well on my way. A lot of the tension I was feeling is gone, and I hope to keep it that way. One sure sign? The Christmas decorations are all still up, and it isn't bothering me! I know that I have frequently driven myself crazy with high expectations for home and work and creative pursuits, and I really want to relax the pressures I put on myself and make life much more realistic and pleasant. The end result should hopefully be a happier, more content me and more time to devote to artistic and fibery projects. So far it's working. I may leave the Christmas trees up until February, just to remind myself of my resolutions, and to prove to myself that a common sense lowering of expectations won't kill me or anyone else. Really!




Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Good for you for relaxing! Sounds like you had a wonderful time - and oh that dancing photo looks so romantic!!

8:56 PM  
Blogger margene said...

You're doing it right! Enjoy! ;-)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Welcome back! I'm interested in the cruise as I've never been on one and my parent's are taking the whole family this summer. Sounds heavenly and like you got some much needed change of pace.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

(sigh)
It sounds marvelous! You deserve it!
(((hugs)))

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home