PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

WWMW - Goal!

When I started with Runagogo in January, it was with the goal of walking one hundred miles by April 1. I measured out some walking routes, grabbed my trusty walking companion Buddy and started out with great determination. I made that goal and then, along with the rest of the GoGo crowd, set further goals as the year went on. Although I walked some of those miles while on vacation at the Grand Canyon and other places, Buddy was my steady companion for the vast majority of those miles. And on Monday night, we made our final goal for the year -- four hundred miles. Good Buddy! Go ahead and take a nap now; you deserve it!

While Buddy and I will certainly keep walking, I won't be keeping track of miles anymore, at least not on the blog. One of the great pleasures I have is being able to walk three mornings a week, as normally I only work four days a week. There is no better way, I think, to start the day than to do so with a walk that takes in some beautiful scenery. And since there are mountains in every direction, the scenery is never lacking. Even out in the backyard, the rosemary is still blooming and pine cones are heavy on my pine tree.




It seems like more than just a few knitbloggers are attempting to knit up all their WIPs before the end of the year. While that would be impossible for me to do, I am working up a real desire to finish my projects off. I've been working on the Moderne Baby Blanket, and tonight I am turning the heel on the second Mystery sock. These socks are the only thing this year that I am knitting on a deadline. It doesn't seem to have been as good of a year for getting knitting time in as last year was; at least that's how it seems to me. Sometimes I get frustrated at not having more FOs to show you all, but believe me, I am enjoying the knitting process thoroughly when I do sit down with needles in hand. And whenever I find myself getting discouraged at not getting more done, quantity wise, I remind myself that it is quality, not quantity, that counts. If I am enjoying the process, and it is giving me a measure of calmness and peacefulness and pleasure, then it doesn't matter how many pairs of socks or how many scarves or shawls I finish. The knitting is doing what it is meant to do.


But I still do want to finish things, and I wish I could show you the Mystery socks. But I can show you the new pair of gauntlets I have cast on. I figure it's not to early to start knitting for next Christmas, since I'm not going to make it with anything for this one. The pattern is Natalya by Jody Pirrello and the yarn is Brown Sheep Prairie Silk in Jewelled Moss. I had an urge to do some cables and this will fill the need quite nicely. And this is the first piece I am doing cables without a cable needle. Who would have thought it would be so simple?

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Buddy and you certainly deserve a little nap - and an award for these 400 miles! Wow, that's awesome! I'm glad that the both of you had so much fun on your walks - yay for many, many more!
Ahhh, the Natalyas! They're very high up on my "Have to knit" list too - yours will be gorgeous in this great color!

4:24 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hooraay! 400!! That is great!

Your pictures of your walks are always something I look for on Wed.
Pat...I'm glad you will continue to post about your walks! And Buddy! (as well as your knitting projects..and not strictly in that order either!)

6:06 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

The gauntlets are lovely Pat. I feel the pressure of the blog sometimes, to finish projects or show progress. I enjoy all your posts. knitting or not.

6:34 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Four hundred miles! Woo Hoo! Good on you and good on Buddy! I do enjoy the walk with me Wednesday post. Thank you for sharing so faithfully.

Happy knitting. Don't worry aabout not accomplishing a ton of stuff this year. It's not llike you had nothing else to do.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Congratulations! 400 miles - now that's a hike! I love Brown Sheep yarns - but have never seen their Prairie Silk - it looks like a particularly nice one - and a good choice for some gauntlets. Knitting is all about enjoying the process at our own speed. Thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely morning walk.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Susan Pandorf said...

I always knit my cables without cable needles. Every so often I pull out a stitch, but I figure it is worth the trouble because of all the time (and aggravation it saves.Not sure I would ever attempt another cabled design otherwise.

Except for those pesky 3-part cables where you slip stitches that are then knitted in a different order. Hate those...

Blessings!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I knew God would bless you abundantly when he sent Buddy your way.

Congrats on your mileage. I think I need to do the same.

12:07 PM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Yea for the walks - wish I could get so motivated!! Good Job!!!

9:26 AM  
Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

As long as your enjoying the process that's all that matters!

Gorgeous pictures. I wish my scenery looked that right now.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home