PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Random Ramblings and a Recipe

I may be a few days late, but hey! Thanksgiving went very well chez Pumpkinknitter. The turkey master cooked up two turkeys, one in the traditional oven format and the other in the deep fryer in the backyard. All the local kids showed up to stuff themselves and Nana was allowed a four hour pass from the care center. I was up at 4:30 to go to work for eight hours, then I came home and helped with dinner and the massive clean-up. I also finished the first of the Mystery socks while I was boiling up turkey carcasses for stock that is now in three big containers in the freezer. Buddy enjoyed the day as well, since it was the first year anniversary since he came to stay with us.

Friday evening it began to rain and turned quite cold. The next day we could see snow in the mountains which has lasted so far through today. I can't recall having snow in the mountains this early. Perhaps we will have a colder, wetter winter than we've had for a while now. Saturday night we had the first fire in the fireplace. This, too, is an early first. Usually this cold weather doesn't start until after the first of the year.


One thing good about being laid up with a bad back -- and the ONLY good thing -- is that I'm halfway down the leg of the second Mystery sock. Too bad I can't show it to you until January.



Tonight I made fried rice and bulgogi, a Korean barbecued meat. I meant to take a picture of the bulgogi, but I forgot until nothing was left on the plates except bones. But I did take a picture of the fried rice, and I will tell you how to make it here. I learned many years ago from Barbara's godmother, who is from Thailand and taught me how to make a number of Oriental dishes.


I take three cups of uncooked medium grain rice and cook it in the rice cooker. I then heat up the electric wok to 350 degrees. I dice up 12-16 ounces of bacon and toss this in the wok. As it cooks, I toss in any leftover pork I have around. (I will dice up and freeze leftover pork chops or pork roast just to add to fried rice. No pork gets wasted in this house.) When the bacon is cooked, I toss in about a half tablespoon of minced garlic. I then clear a space in the bottom of the wok and add three or four beaten eggs. (The bacon grease is NOT drained. It makes very flavorful fried rice.) When the eggs are about halfway cooked, I toss in some of the cooked rice and stir everything up together. Once the eggs are all stirred into the rice, I add the rest of the rice as well as frozen corn, peas, and carrots or any other vegetables I want to add. (Edamame, diced green beans, etc.) This is all frequently stirred and cooked for another 5-10 minutes until everything is hot. Depending on what you toss in here, it can be a complete meal all by itself. We will be eating this during the week with sweet and sour meatballs. Yumm!!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

Sounds delicious! Hope that bad back gets better soon. I have found the Thermawraps to be a Godsend. And my lumbar support belt. It helps keep the lower back warm and reminds you to be careful when bending over. Blessings on you.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Hope your back gets better really soon! Your Thanksgiving celebration sounds wonderful with both turkeys - I've heard a fried turkey is the best way to cook it! Thanks for sharing the rice recipe - it sounds very tasty. Looking forward to the "unveiling" of the mystery socks :)

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure enjoy your blog, we have plenty in common and I love your walks. You have given me the incentive to get up and walk taking one of my goldens with me. And there is nothing worse, other than a tooth ache or ear ache, than a hurtin' back. Seems like there is no remedy for the pain. Thanks again for all your interesting stories.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds a tad stressful with all the preparations, but so perfect then - I'm glad you had such a good time, and just thinking about the turkeys makes me drool all over ;)
I hope your back will be better soon - take as much rest as possible, will you?

2:55 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds like it was nice, I've always wondered what those deep fried turkeys taste like ;-)

It is one year since I've been visiting you, as I remember when I first found your blog, Buddy had just come to live with you :-)

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm going to have to try fried turkey one these days. It sounds so yummy.

I hope your back feels better soon! Happy anniversary to you and Buddy so glad he found a nice home with you.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home