PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Indulgences

Last Wednesday my mom took me to an LYS which she remembered being not too far away. After a couple false starts we did find the shop and it was by far one of the nicest shops I have been in. Meaning, more wonderful yarns around every corner and shelf than I could almost deal with. Thank goodness I had a strict budget and I did actually stick with it.

There was lots of Noro and I got these two skeins of Kureyon (the green skein is #95 and the purply one is #207) to make the Child's Rainbow Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It will be for granddaughter Nikki one day when she is a little bigger. She liked the colors plenty when she saw them. But I may knit this up rather soon, as the colors are really screaming at me to be worked with!


There was Koigu, but not enough for me to make up a Charlotte's Web, which I was really hoping to do. But I came home with two skeins (bottom) of the orange/brown/yellow P611, and two skeins (top) of Claudia Handpaint fingering in Honey. This is my first Claudia Handpaint and I'm afraid that it may be my downfall. I was thinking of making socks with these, but then realized that I might like them better as the Chevron Scarf, also from LMKG. The colors look much better together in person than they do in the picture. So that's the current plan there.
Then, five skeins of Malabrigo. I nearly passed out when I found the Malabrigo wall in the store. (Right above the Cascade 220.) The two skeins on the left are Marron Oscuro and they aren't as reddish as the camera makes them look; then there are three skeins of Cognac. These are going to be used for hats, mitts, and scarves. I'm leaning a lot towards knitting Grumperina's Sharfik with the Marron.

And that, my friends, blew the yarn budget for this trip. And I'm not at all surprised that I tended heavily to fall colors.
I came pretty darn close to finishing the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf. I've loved knitting with these gorgeous autumn colors, and it was a great pattern to knit while visiting, talking, riding in the car to Frankenmuth and cider mills, etc. I've been asked why, as a desert dweller, I'm knitting scarves and buying yarn for more. Let's see:

1. Most of my relatives live in northern states. Scarves are great gifts.

2. If I visit in winter, I will need an entire wardrobe of lovely scarves to wear and to dazzle the locals.

3. It is frequently quite windy here in Arizona. I can't stand a cold wind on my neck. So the scarves are quite useful here as well.

4. It's fun. And I can splurge on decadent yarns without exceeding the budget.

I could continue, but you know how it is.


3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Positibley yummy yarn! It looks so good that I could eat it. Have fun with it.

PS Stupid yahoo ate all of your precious comments that you left for me....so I won't be able to reply but thanks much...

Glad you are back home safe and sound. Hugs.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great visit and what a nice yarn haul!

3:33 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Scarf it up, baby! Scarves are not just for freezin' season any more.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home