PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

October in Michigan



It's been four years since I went "home" for a visit, and something like eighteen years since I was in Michigan in October. The trees were just beginning to turn, not as spectacular as I would have hoped for, but the weather was wonderfully cool and crisp. (Except for Monday when we arrived. It was hotter in Detroit than it was in Phoenix. But only for the one day.) It was good to move back into "my bedroom" again for the week, and equally good to stuff myself with my mom's cooking and all sorts of Polish and Michigan goodies. (Kruschiki, anyone? Kishka? Pierogi? Or some fresh lake perch? Did anyone hear the rumor that I am particularly fond of frog's legs, something which my children cannot fathom?) Fortunately the couple pounds I put on came off quickly once I came home.

On Tuesday we drove a little ways north to Frankenmuth, a German town that caters to the tourist trade. It is very picturesque and certainly well decorated in fall flowers for the season. There is lots of shopping to do there and the bug bit me as well, although only mildly. I didn't see any yarn shops, which helped my budget out, at least that day. And I resisted the many temptations at Bronner's CHRISTmas Store. I think it was because the store is so overwhelming -- too much to see all at once. It is also a town for German restaurants and bakeries. We had lunch in Zehnder's basement cafe, where they heaped my plate full of many more German goodies than they should have. Fried chicken, bratwurst, kraut, bread, spaetzle, and green beans, all for $7.95. I'm almost ashamed to say that I ate nearly all of it. And we bought a carmel apple at the bakery. Not just any carmel apple, mind you. Carmel, several kinds of nuts, and white and dark chocolate drizzled over it all. It made a great dessert at home later that evening. I should have taken a picture first, before it all disappeared.
Wednesday was spent searching out and shopping at a marvelous LYS. Pictures to come soon, as well as of the project I nearly finished during the week.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kathy b said...

Beauty in the post for sure. Making me hungry too! Mmmmmmmm ethnic cooking. The best.

5:22 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a lovely, lovely trip! Yes, you Can go home again.

6:54 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Sounds like a lovely get away from your too busy life!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh, don't ever feel guilty about vacation eating. Sounds heavenly.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home