PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Walk With Me Wednesday

Brought to you a day early. As someone once said, it's now or never.


Fall arrived on Monday. How do I know? It's hard to say. On Sunday we had some heavy thunderstorms, not too unusual in September. On Monday morning I was hanging out the wash, when I felt that something had changed. The breeze did not have the same heat to it. The sky was a lighter shade of blue. The clouds were puffy and the shadows were different. How does one know? One simply feels it in the bone. Fall is here.

How can I explain how suddenly the shadows and the light are different? Yes, the sun is further south in the sky, but it's more than that. The quality of the light changes, somehow. And the seed pods are rattling in the mimosa trees. That is certainly a sound of autumn winds.
There is no time to waste now. If anything, this is my favorite time of year. Time to break out the pumpkins and the gourds.

On Tuesday morning I had some business across the valley. It was a beautiful drive. Clear and sunny, the mountains still green. The grasses growing tall in the valley remind one that this used to be prime grazing land for cattle, and still is in some places. The grass was still green, but beginning to take on that soft gray green haze that precedes the brown of winter. I wish I had brought the camera with me. When my business was concluded, I stopped in at a small organic/natural foods store that I had never been in before. Of course I could not resist getting some of the local produce!
Best of all is coming home and sitting on the porch, watching the clouds and the shadows, listening to the seed pods rattle, and knitting something with wonderful fall colors.
And now that it has gotten cooler, Buddy and I will be able to take some much longer walks than we have been lately!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fall photos are so beautiful! I absolutely agree with you, there's no real explanation how we can tell that fall is here, we just feel it in the bones! Same for here too, though we had some lovely days lately it's pretty easy to tell now that fall is here full blast, it'll just be a few more days till the leaves begin to change their colors... Looking forward to that!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I enjoyed walking with you. Now come on over and walk on the beach with me.

The sock has a lovely Fall flavor to it. So very pretty:D

5:35 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

....the seed pods are rattling in the mimosa trees....I love that! How true, it is a sound of autumn.

Thanks for walking past the mimosa tree ;-)

5:32 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Glad you and Buddy are feeling the cooler air. Huck gets really frisky around 50 degrees here. None of that yet. thank goodness

love your sock colorway

6:56 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a lovely tribute to the season!

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home