PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Brick House, Cherry Leaf, and Where Did the Week Go?



The weekend away was totally wonderful. Wonderful food, wonderful wine, wonderful accomodations, wonderful weather -- no high temps and no high humidity! A very much living-in-the-moment weekend, just what a 32nd anniversary weekend ought to be.






Then reality hit. We got dropped off at LAX on Monday morning to the mother-of-all standing room only out the door on the sidewalk waits. We waited to check in. We waited to drop off our luggage. We waited to be searched. And in the middle of it all, a phone call from home about another medical emergency. As if we could do anything about it then. Finally get home, drop everything, rush to the hospital. Where we spent most of the week. I finally finished unpacking yesterday, a week after we got back. It was Nana who had the health crisis and she is now in a 24 hour care facility to finish convalescing. I think my nerves are recovering. But now I need another vacation!



Not much knitting got done at first, although I did end up taking knitting finally while sitting at bedsides. The new Brick House Monkey Socks are coming along; I'm ready to start the heel flap on the first sock. This is being made from KnitPicks' new sock yarn, Felici, in the Clay colorway. The yarn is nice and soft and I like the staggered stripes in this one.
At one point I was so desperate for something to keep my hands busy that I picked up the very neglected second sock of the Welsh Country stockings and got back to working on some straight stockinette stitch. This sock was definitely suffering from second sock syndrome, but I think that after this last week I'm getting back into the groove for it.
However, I've been desperate to be knitting something with some concentration involved in it. The socks are nice, but the patterns are easy; my other current knitting, the two blankets, are just garter stitch. (The Icarus has been abandoned; new yarn will be acquired at some future point.) I needed something that I would have to concentrate on in order to get my brain and nerves to relax. Garter stitch may be relaxing, but it still leaves the mind too much room to think. And worry. So I cast about for something to cast on and finally decided on the beautiful light fingering weight yarn that Roxie sent me a good while back. I perused my books to find something that I could make with a thousand yards and the Shoulder Shrug in Cherry Leaf Pattern from Victorian Lace Today leapt out at me. I used Ravelry to see what other knitters had done with this pattern and the choice was clear. I cast on and started knitting this afternoon. But not until the laundry and the bills were caught up.
I'll be visiting Bloglines soon and trying to post more regularly now. I'm so behind on my Ravelry notebook and groups! Hopefully as things ease up around here I'll get back to more normal activities. I miss visiting with you all each day! Sorry there is no time to add links for everything in this post, but it's time to start dinner and then the nightly visit at the care center. And then hopefully more lace knitting. And a glass of wine. And maybe cheesecake. Or chocolate. A girl's gotta have her stressbusters.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your monkey socks are looking great. Just the antidote for all that airport stress! Hope everything is okay with Nana.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your weekend getaway. I hope your Nana gets better soon.

The socks look great. I really love those monkeys.

4:52 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Thank God for knitting. Glad the vacation was so nice. And I love the brickhouse socks! All prayers and best wishes for Nana. And you!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I'm glad your 32nd went well, Though I'm sorry about Nanna. I will pray that she mends well. Give her a hug for me. And tell her that "invisable" friends (Bloggers) are holding her up in prayer.

I wish you were here in FL. This place is wonderful too.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Nana - my thoughts are with her and I'm hoping for a quick recovery for her!
Happy belated anniversary by the way - your time off sounds just perfect, except for the hassles at the airport that is! Love your socks!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home