PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What The Sock Knitter Made

Refrigerator pickles. (You thought I was going to say socks, didn't you.)



To make two quarts (two mayo jars worth):
Thinly slice up English cucumber or Armenian cucumber. Usually about 2 1/2 cucumbers fit into the jars. Slice up some onion with them. I like to use sweet onions. Add liquid made up of:
2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 T salt
1 T celery seed
The liquid will not cover all the cucumbers. Cover jars and place in refrigerator for 48 hours. Enjoy! The cucumbers will all be in the liquid by then. The rest of the cucumber can be sliced and added as the level in the jars drops.

There still has been knitting. I have been working on the Brick House sock while sitting at the care center with Nana. She is doing a little better, thank you. But work on the sock is slow. The lighting is poor, and there are interruptions, of course. And I'm always slow picking up the gusset stitches. My personal weak point. But I read somewhere, and I wish I could remember where so I could credit the source, that it is comforting for someone in a hospital/care center to see someone knitting. It means that all is well, or at least reasonably so. I don't know if it is having that effect or not. But it's not hurting the situation. And the nurses are enjoying it. So I knit on.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Thanks for the ree-sipe (that's how we say recipe at our house... weird, I know).

I know that knitting calms me in those situations, so why not others? Do you like the new Knitpics yarn?

7:19 PM  
Blogger margene said...

Knitting is good for everyone involved, so it seems. Those pickles sure look good!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds good, I might have to try that. My kids love pickles.

Glad your Nana is doing a little better.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for sharing the recipe! I'm a big fan of pickles and this sounds totally yummy! And I love the sock you're working on - great pattern as well as the colors - make me think of autumn and the changing of the leaves that's already almost taking place over here...

12:03 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

I like your recipe!

And it would comfort me to see someone knitting...as it also comforts me to knit. I once heard someone say she could not control much in her life, but at least she could control her knitting...

thinking good thoughts for Nana...

5:02 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Yum and I want those socks - love 'em!!!
Hope Nana is doing better.

9:33 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Pat

I make a similar pickle mix. I need to add the celery seed. Yum. THe sock is darling. What a great pattern. Keep knitting at the care center, it is soothing to your soul as well.

3:52 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Blessings on you and Nana. Knit on. It is a form of prayer. And you are in mine.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home