PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I Keep Getting Lost



Lately I seem to be having trouble keeping my resolves together. I told myself that I was going to start posting more regularly, and here it's a week since I've done anything besides reading my bloglines. At least I've kept that up! But the energy to put a post together just seems to have been eluding me, no doubt due to the current stress issues.






I've been lax, as well, doing as much in the garden as I should. For a while there we were still getting some afternoon showers, but not for the last couple days. Can you see the rain falling in the picture? And the rainbow? Now I've had to be diligent about watering. But we expect to get some rain later in the week from the hurricanes in Mexico, which should help keep my garden blooming.
I've promised myself to be diligent about knitting and spinning as well. But I haven't touched the wheel or the spindle in over a week now, and I haven't actually done much this summer in the spinning department. The last couple days I've been neglecting the cherry leaf shawl in favor of some simple garter stitch with the Moderne Baby Blanket. And several more rows have gotten done on the Brick House socks while sitting in various medical offices. It may not be much knitting, but it certainly is necessary knitting!


With all the medical issues that have cropped up this summer, I've found myself really thinking about health issues. Things like taking care of myself with proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep. And I can certainly use improvement in all those areas! But I've also been thinking about other aspects of health as well, such as spiritual health and other life issues such as giving myself permission to be more creative, to spend more time enjoying nature, to quit worrying about things that I can't change, and to let go of needless expectations. (Little Cat could possibly give me some pointers on some of these things!)



Anyways, I've been thinking about doing some sweater knitting. I haven't made myself a sweater in many years. So, being the good Raveler that I am, I checked out the pullover patterns to see what catches my eye. And to see how patterns look on real people! It seems that every time I go on Ravelry, I get lost for a good while just looking at what people are knitting with different yarns and patterns. So what jumped out at me? This. Fingering yarn and tiny needles. Am I nuts???


Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel similar lately, lax and not motivated to blog - at least there's still some knitting going on ;) Must be the weather or the time of year I suppose...
Anyways, great choice about Thermal, this is high up on my "Have to knit" list as well. Looking forward to seeing your first progress pics!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, you're not nuts. Even with fingering weight and tiny needles, it's still just one stitch after another. Eventually...it's a sweater. And it's a beautiful one. Just do it.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really cute sweater. I say go for it!

4:28 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm right there with you -- little needles, big sweater... I too am unfocused in my blog life right now. But I'm reading them. Hope all you get is showers from this spate of hurricane weather.

6:18 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Lack of focus, inability to prioritize or get started. End of summer langour. That first nip of winter will get us all in gear again. In the meantime, practice being still and quiet.

Fine yarn, tiny needles? Why not? I think you're the gal to do it!

6:30 AM  
Blogger margene said...

It's the process and if you love the end product it will be a nice process from beginning to end.
Remember you are worth more to others when your heart is full and you can only fill it by being good to yourself.

7:30 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

I know exactly how you feel - I'm not working much and am getting bored - which starts me thinking about all the things I SHOULD DO...like find some reliable income for instance...but I sit and knit and try to distract myself. Have been walking more - good thing!
Hope your family health issues improve..just remember it's all part of the journey!

1:10 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Nuts, you ask? Well, if you are, then I am too...I understand exactly how you feel!

Love all the other comments here--knitters speak a language other knitters understand. The sweater will be beautiful-- go for it!

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not nuts - I thought the same thing about Thermal until I saw it on a variety of shapes and sizes. It looks good on everyone! Go for it!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Not nuts. There are reasons we're compelled to knit certain things, and I rarely understand what they are till I'm in the midst of (or finished) the project...
Go for it. If you love it, there's reason enough.
(and the spiritual health stuff goes along with health challenges - that's when I started sewing and knitting again...when my heart attack and SLE popped me in the face...what a godsend both crafts are to me!)

As Margene says, it's the process...
Be well, friend!
(((hugs)))

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home