PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Two Gray Socks



I've been working on the second Welsh Country Stocking. Progress is slow. The yarn, Schoeller-Esslinger Hit, which is sport weight, knits up very firm in this stocking. The firmness is good, but it's hard on the hands and wrists. So, despite the fact that I really want to get these finished, I'm being forced to take my time and not do any more than a dozen rounds a day.

The new pair of socks is Ann Budd's On-Your-Toes Socks from IK Summer 2007. I am making these with the gray/black Regia Spirit Color that Maria gave me for Christmas. These are my first toe up socks and I found the Eastern cast-on to be a real nightmare. I kept trying and trying, but each time ended up totally knotted up and twisted every which way. I searched Google and anything else I could think of for tutorials. The same results, knotted up and twisted and ripped out. I was at rope's end. And then, staring at it again for the umpteenth time, the stitches suddenly made perfect sense. Once more I ripped out and started over, and this time it worked beautifully. And I'm in love with toe up socks.

I've found a new use for Ravelry. Now when I am surfing yarns and patterns, I hit the queue button when I see something I like. Then when I want to find it again later, I will only have to scroll through the queue until I see it. No more racking my brains trying to remember a few months later where I saw something! So my queue will probably be larger than I will ever manage in this lifetime, but at least I'll know where to find everything!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup that is exactly how I use my queue too :-)
Love those stockings - I have plans for a pair in black with red tops - reminds me must put them in my ravelry queue :)

7:18 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

both stockings are wonderful. Those Welsh ones will wear like iron! And now you have me intrigued by the toe-up socks, but totally terrified by Ravelry! "The web site that devoured my life . . "

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Queue? What queue? Hey, I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the great tip!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are going to be some beautiful socks - and thanks a lot for the hint about the Ravelry queue, will have to check that out immediately!

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks! It too use that queue feature on Ravelry alot. There are so many great patterns out there.

4:52 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Wow, they will knit up warm. What a tiny guage.
Im going with a sportweight for my next pair of socks. You are so patient!

7:55 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Love the welsh country stocking!

And I am glad that you are queuing things...you are giving me ideas! When I go to my friends activity button, I am seeing all the nice things that you queue! So keep up the good work! ;-)

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home