PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

WWMW - Fog and Flowers and the End of the Rainbow

I seldom allow the weather to dampen any vacation or activity plans that I have undertaken. I enjoy all types of weather unless it becomes impossibly or dangerously extreme. We have been lucky in that all of our recent cruises have had fair weather; this time our first two days were marked by on and off again showers. This certainly did not stop me from heading out into the sunshine or rain as the time passed. But I was lucky enough to catch sight of a rainbow that only appeared for a minute or so. The end of the rainbow was very near the ship and actually travelled closer as I watched. It came within a matter of less than a hundred feet by the time it simply melted away and disappeared. It's the first time I've actually seen the rainbow's end.

On our return sea days, Friday and Saturday, the wind was very strong and kept the temperatures rather bitter. On Saturday things were very damp and hazy; very few passengers were out on deck. Even I didn't stay out as long as I would have wished. On Saturday night, after sunset, we sailed into a huge, dense fogbank. The pictures I took do not do justice to the sight; you could't see from one end of the ship to the other, even though the deck lights were on. We went up to the bow to watch the prow of the ship plowing into the solid wall of fog; a totally creepy sight. We were cruising at a very fast speed as well. The ship was blowing the big horn every three minutes; one could hear other ships in the distance. I know that they all use radar and GPS, but it was quite chilling to think of all these huge ships out there in what was truly an impenetrable fog. We fell asleep to the sound of the foghorn; I knew during the night that we were out of the fog when I could no longer hear the horn. I got up to look out the balcony and all was clear. We were nearly in to Los Angeles.



Finally today, for all you folks socked in with snow and general January dreariness, I give you pictures of flowers in Mazatlan.













Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

Thanks for the virtual vacation!

The photos are amazing. I don't know how I would have handled all that fog...the rainbow is awesome!

7:20 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What an adventure! And oh, the sunshine and flowers look so nice. Thanks for sharing! Now where are you in the midst of all this glory?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

Amazing picture of the rainbow's end. Since you have spent so much time on a boat you might enjoy the Horatio Hornblower seafaring tales - they are on DVD. Obviously quite an extreme opposite from a cruise but the feel of being on the ship might be interesting to you. I love them. A little violent, though. Fog and LA go together :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

oh you have taken some wonderful wonderful images. I love the leading lines. Just marvelous. Thanks for the color. Our life is perpetually grey this time of year. All shades of grey.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home