PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh, I love the blue!

It was a good week. I didn't get as much knitting in as I had hoped to, and that's usually the way these things go. I spent a few extra hours napping -- hey, if you can't have the luxury of a nap while on vacation, what's the point? And there were a lot of activities not really condusive to knitting. (Sorry, I don't knit in the jacuzzi, although I'm sure it's been done.)

I worked on the qiviut for most of the plane ride and associated airport waiting. It's not too far from Tucson to Houston, but I did get several repeats of the pattern done. This knitting worked well for the cramped quarters of an airplane seat.

The next day we were shuttled out to Galveston to board our ship. It was still dismaying to see so much destruction still evident in Galveston. Broken boats still littered the side of the roads and damage to homes and buildings was very obvious. But on the whole it didn't look too bad. Nothing like it must have looked right after the hurricane.

Once we got on the ship, the qiviut cowl was abandoned. The blue of all the Caribbean water was overwhelming, and for a little while I worked on the Glacier scarf. The yarn was melding itself into all the shades of blue surrounding the ship.

But the scarf didn't hold my attention for long. I spent most of my knitting time with Icarus and the Malabrigo lace. The yarn feels warm and yummy and I couldn't stay away from it. I knit on this all the flight back home. The blue lace reflected itself in the waters as well. I'm so glad I started this project and took it with me. It was nothing but sheer pleasure to work on.

Trip pictures and adventures aplenty, so stay tuned if you enjoy that sort of posting.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

OOOOOHHHH - the Blue looks so good - it's just white and melty here! I think I have to have another shawl in my knitting bag - looks pretty inviting.
Thanks for all your prayers - I'm recovering and knitting - just not as fast as I expected!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groan. What gorgeous pictures. Not a snow flake in sight.

I love love love Malabrigo lace.

Glad you are home safe and sound, Pat. What a lovely trip.

7:36 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Blue is my favorite color and you're surrounded by it! Lucky you. How nice to mimic it with your knitting.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Claudia Bugh said...

What a fickle knitter you have been - LOL Love all your WIPs and can't wait to hear what you think of the quivet yarn.

Looking forward to your trip photos ~ it's been too long since I've been in that area of the world!

4:22 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Beautiful photos, and WIPs (to go with them!)

How do you decide which one to pick up!! They are all gorgeous ;-)

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home