PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Strawberries, Chili Powder, and Trudy's Romance

This blog entry is brought to you by the color RED.

The local grocery has been selling strawberries at a dollar a pound. When this happens, I get overcome by the urge to load up the cart with berries. I love berries. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. I will even pay exorbitant amounts to have them in my cereal, with my cottage cheese, in my muffins. Many years ago, while living in Germany, I nearly cried when I saw cartons of Michigan blueberries prominently displayed in the German grocery. I bake some heavenly berry muffins and quick breads, but strawberries are for pies. Except that I can't make pie crust to save my life. Now, my mother is the champion pie crust (and pie) maker of all time, and she can't understand why I haven't inherited the pie crust gene. It just doesn't work. I have a bitter and totally unsuccessful relationship with flour and shortening. I can't even get a pre-made frozen crust to work. The ones I used this time were a very well known name brand, and they still fell apart when baked. However, my strawberry filling is to die for.







As I mentioned in an earlier post, Buddy has been digging up the flower beds I planted in the back yard. Seems he wanted to help Mom out, or else the soft, well manured soil was simply irresistable. Today Joe was talking to a friend of ours who has had dogs, and she suggested sprinkling the soil with chili powder. So I bought a big jar and sprinkled a tiny bit on my hand, just to see how Buddy would react. He licked every bit off my hand and sat wagging his tail as he eyed the jar. He's a good dog, but obviously a little deficient in the intellectual department. I sprinkled it in the flower beds, anyways. The patio smelled like an explosion in a chili fireworks factory. Will it stop him from digging in the beds? Apparently he tried to dig a bit in the afternoon and gave up pretty quickly. Time will tell, I suppose.




Seems like everyone in spindom has a name for their wheel. Mine has become Trudy, the Ashford Traditional. Trudy was very happy last night, and so was I. We are enjoying the start of a wonderful romance with Laura's "Romance" roving. This is what I spun last night. More spinning will occur this evening. The roving is very easy to spin, and the colors? See for yourself.


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

You do know that the best strawberroes in the world come from Oregon - but that because of thier short shelf-life you can't buy them anywhere but at the farm stands.....but not until July or so. We've got California berries in the stores now and they don't even smell the same. But I must admit the pie looks so wonderful!!

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That strawberry pie looks yummy! Hopefully the chili powder will keep will work for you!

Your spinning looks great, love the colorway!

3:44 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Your Romance yarn looks like chocolate cherry cordials. Yum!

Hope the chili powder discourages buddy. Maybe he's hunting rodents?

6:15 AM  
Blogger margene said...

It all looks so yummy! Well, maybe not cayanne in the flower beds.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - berries are just the best! And the truly best of them all were the ones my Granny planted in her garden - I've missed them - and her of course - ever since.
I do hope that the chili powder will do the trick!

11:51 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

yum! PIE!

Love all of your reds! Esp. that romance roving! Can't wait to see what it is going to look like when it grows up! Any plans or projects in mind for it??

5:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ahh, love that spinning! Romance isn't suppose to be all about chocolate and roses but it NEVER HURTS! hehe

Be sure to let us know how the chili powder works in the flower beds! we want to get a dog but my husband says "forget about trying to keep flower beds".

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home