PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Friday, May 04, 2007

But Does She Still Knit??



Not much these days, it seems. True, I have been trying to do some much overdue spring cleaning of the closets, and the back of the car is filled with items for St. Vincent's (think Catholic Goodwill, if you're not familiar with that particular organization). But mainly the reason is the work situation. I come home exhausted so many days, after long and grueling hours -- think 13 1/2 hour days -- the work load has become much greater, there are many more responsibilities, and the pay raises have been barely minimal cost of living, certainly not commesurate with the job requirements these days. Plus, some insensitivity on the part of the big brass; the new building has been signed for, and we were told we would be moving in basically immediately despite the fact that serious safety measures had not yet been resolved, indicating a real lack of concern for the employees' welfare. I'm pleased to report that some cooler thinking heads have prevailed and now the safety measures will be installed before we move in; however, it does leave a bad taste in one's mouth. I'm not the only one feeling this way. There has been a significant defection on the part of many senior employees due to all these issues and then some. This also contributes to the stressful situation, as now many employees with years of experience and knowledge have departed, and we are top heavy with inexperienced souls who have to be watched practically every minute because they screw up if you don't, and then you have an even bigger mess.



I take the Trekking socks in my work bag with me each day. Very little has been accomplished, because there has been a real dearth of any down time. When you are snatching a fast PBJ sandwich at the computer on a regular basis, because there is no time to sit down, relax, and have a reasonably healthy, balanced lunch or dinner, then you know that the pace is getting out of hand. Yes, this is Mim's Simple Trekking Socks. And I wish I could finish them. At home, I've only been working on the Log Cabin baby blanket. It's all I've had the energy to do. I haven't even started spinning the second bobbin of the Romance roving, because I've been too tired to even set up a new bobbin on Trudy.

As you might well say, that's pretty tired.

And what am I going to do about it? Put in an application for a totally new job. In a totally different field. I'm vested for my retirement at my current employment, so that's not an issue. I think it's time to move on and find a new outlet for some of my other skills and qualifications. So an application has been put in. Won't know for a while yet, since the application window for this new job will be open for a while yet. But the prospective new employer is pleased that I am applying. And feels that I am well qualified. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I'm going to go get that new bobbin and start spinning again tonight.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Yay for putting in an application somewhere new Pat! THAT's the way to set your priorities to make room for more knitting time! :)

8:27 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

I hate it when the people at the top forget that there are people at the bottom and start treating all employees as disposable units. Productivity will plummet and they'll wonder why.

Best of luck with the new application!

7:37 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Pat

My goodness that has been rough. Good for you to know it and move on. Wise woman!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Sadly, this sounds just like my workplace. Those who haven't left already are looking for other employment, including me. So sad. It doesn't have to be that way. Good for you, though. You have to take care of yourself.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your work troubles. I hope you get the new job!

Love the colors of the trekking!

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home