PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Exactly

So you know, I was catching up on Mason Dixon Knitting, and read how Kay recognized her scarf as being one modeled in the thank you card from the Red Scarf Project; see her April 19 post. Pretty cool. And I figured that, hey, maybe I'll be getting one of those card thingies too, you know? So I was't too surprised when mine showed up today. (In the interests of total honesty, I thought at first that it was junk mail and almost threw it out.) I thought that it was pretty cool, to see the picture of Kay's scarf. And then I looked at the scarf that Eileen McCaffrey (I presume that is her) is wearing on the opposite page. Looked awful familiar. In fact, it looked just like this here red scarf (scroll down to second picture and click on it to enlarge it).

Now, bear in mind that my camera always lightens up the red and won't give a true color. The scarf in the card is the true color I used. And that's exactly the pattern I used. Now, I know that they get thousands of scarves, and they have got to get plenty of scarves in that particular red color using a plain old basketweave pattern. Right? So this old girl here would hardly presume to think that the scarf in the card (and on the website) is the EXACT AND VERY SAME ONE that she knit. But that's not THE POINT. When I was knitting my scarf, I felt really bad that I didn't have time to do a really fancy or unique scarf like so many of you seemed to be doing. I almost felt (okay, I did feel) like I was doing a really SUBSTANDARD job in the SCARF PATTERN department. Now I see a scarf identical to mine being featured in the thank you card. Along with KAY'S SUPER UNIQUE SCARF!

And I don't even care if you all leave comments saying that they've been using this same picture for the last ten years. I feel pretty darn good tonight.

And I'm still spinning Romance. I am nearly done with the first bobbin. I'm going to spin up two bobbins' worth and then ply the two together for sock yarn. I am obsessed with this roving. I HEART this roving. And it's darker than it appears in the picture. Too bad I've got such a demanding work schedule this week and next. I can't wait to see this plied up.





Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Pat! You are CRACKING me UP about the scarf!! I know exactly what you're talking about! Like, Oh, there were so many fancy schmancy awesomely cool red scarfs that people knit and I feel so insecure about my humble offering. And there it was! It might not be "yours" but it's one of probably a couple HUNDRED that were sent in that looked exactly the same and that means that YOURS IS A ROCK STAR TOO!! Cool!!

That Romance wool. Isn't it a tuffy to get a picture of?? Maybe Romance IS a good name for it because nobody else really knows how good it feels or looks unless it's in their own hands. :)

11:18 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

The reason the simple classics became simple classics is that everyone loves them. If you ever go feeling that your work is substandard again, I'll jump right on my broom, fly down and give you a cup of tea and a pep talk. Non-knitters do not APPRECIATE works of art. Why spend 127 hours on one exquisite wisp of lace when you could knit 23 good, servicable, ordinary basket-weave scarves in the same time? Save your lace for those as understand it.Your work is ALWAYS superior!!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am certain that it is YOUR scarf they've used in the picture. And they probably like it so much, that now they WILL use it for the NEXT ten years! Good for you, Pat. :)

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sharon, this has certainly been your scarf that they were using as it's such a gorgeous one - yay for that! ;)

12:51 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Wow...that is some good looking yarn you are spinning!

5:35 AM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Published no less - how cool is that? Great work!!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Good for you! I hope they keep using that photo too - plainer scarves look good too. And there you are, side by side with Kay! Woot!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the scarf you sent in was beautiful! Obviously they did too.

Love that colorway your spinning. Can't wait to see the finished yarn!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home