PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Poker Cam



Joe has a sense of the unusual when it comes to the garden. Maybe it would be better expressed by saying that he likes to try to grow things that aren't normally found in southern Arizona. His red hot pokers, for one. He got these from his favorite plant nursery in Flagstaff. Red Hot Pokers practically grow wild up there, and he wanted to try them down here. We've had mixed success with these. It looks like we will only have three of the pokers this year, which is better than the none we had last year.





We've been pretty light on the rain this spring, so I've had to really soak things, especially the trees. Some things manage just fine in a drought, but many others don't. While we don't try to have a grassy lawn, because it would take too much water and maintenance, my garden isn't a true desert garden, either. I have a few borders, etc, that require plenty of water. We do try to conserve as much water as we can. But I would miss the flowers I grew up with in Michigan if I went to a total desert landscape.

Not too much knitting progress to show. I've been getting the house ready for the grandbabies. (Thursday!!) Plus when I have been knitting, I've been alternating what I work on and so don't have any major progress to show on any one thing. But I did finish my second square for the afghans.
Big Cat says, "It's hot and I'm sleepy."



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool flower! Your square looks great. Enjoy those grandbabies!

4:32 AM  
Blogger margene said...

The poker looks ready to singe!

5:06 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Big cat is so lovely. I love yourplan to knit amongst projectss. I think I'll follow.

6:10 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Give BigCat an ear-rub for me. He/she looks so comfy!

Yep, I couldn't stand life in the desert without just a little well-watered greenery.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home