PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Sunny Afternoon

As you may have perhaps figured out, I've been working a lot of hours (again!) lately. In fact, the last few days I've been going in to work while it is still dark and not getting home until after dark. Then I go back again while it is still dark, etc., etc. The money is nice, but the hours are rather depressing. I do most definitely miss the sunshine and the sky. But today I was home at three in the afternoon. Eureka!! A beautiful fall afternoon, and I can do anything I want!

So I went to the local farmers market.




See what I got? IdaRed apples from a local orchard up in the mountains; organic oranges, eggplant, cucumber and onion from a farm on the other side of the county; honey (not pictured) and a bag of pistachios from another farm out in the county. The pistachios are extremely fresh and flavorful and the oranges are outstanding. Tomorrow, breaded eggplant for dinner.

I would go to this market more often, since it isn't a far drive for me, but normally I wouldn't be off work in time to go. So today was a real treat. We are still dreadfully shorthanded at work; I've been interviewing applicants as fast as I can, but that can be a discouraging process. We don't get too many qualified individuals. I called another applicant today to tell him that I wanted to interview him tomorrow evening; he agreed, but asked if he could do it tonight instead. I told him no. I'm tired, I haven't had an evening at home to relax for a few days, and I need a break. Of course I didn't tell him all this. But he sounded a tad peeved that I have him scheduled for Friday evening. Excuse me. I don't make people take time off from their current job to do my interview, which can possibly last as long as an hour, but I do expect them to come when I tell them unless there are true extenuating circumstances. He's the one looking for a job, not me. It's the applicant's job to show up when I want them, and not when they feel like it. After all, are they serious about wanting a job, or not?? I have a lot of little ways of evaluating if an applicant is a serious, focused individual, and that's one of my first indicators.

Anyways, there isn't much knitting content to show you today. I have finished the second Branching Out, and hope to block it next week. But I have been spinning. I wound off what was on the spindle and it came to about half an ounce. I'm going to spin up about that much again and then ply it and see if I can't start some knitting going with it.

Maybe I can get out of work early again tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be lovely, again...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that your work life has been quite straining these past days - it sure gets very frustrating to work such long hours and not being able to be out in daylight! I do hope that the situation will calm down soon so that you'll get a bit more me-time!
Awww, such yummy things you got at the farmers market - especially the pistachios look so yummy!

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you'll get a break from the long hours soon.

Looks like you picked out some good things at the farmers market. I love idared apples! The spinning looks great!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

You spinning looks fantastic!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Pat your singles look SO beautiful and SO even! Isn't it thrilling! My heart beats faster just looking at that picture!! And I get a little giggle of excitement too. I can't wait to see this plied up. :)

6:19 AM  
Blogger judy said...

lovely singles, what spindle are you using?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Pat K said...

Judy, it's a bottom whorl drop spindle that I got about 30 years ago. In this picture, I've wound the singles onto a spool on my Lazy Kate.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home