PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oh boy.

Oh, boy.

Oh, bother.

Obsessed.

Whatever.


I went to the local shop last night for their knitting and crochet group. The only other lady there last night was crocheting a hat out of WalMart acrylic. She said she had to bring simple things to work on so she wouldn't get the pattern in a mess because of spending the time talking. I knit the cuff on the second STR sock. I figured that was simple enough for me. We had a great two hours talking and being all fibery. And we checked out the store stock. She bought self-striping yarn for four pairs of crocheted socks. Me? I resisted the yarn. I looked at the roving. I looked at the drop spindles. And I found two books that somehow I sensed were waiting there for me to find them.

I've had my face in them all day. The spinning book was very helpful. Funny, though, I found that I had already figured out the techniques on my own. As if by some invisible guidance. Oh, what gentle spinning spirits have invaded my home? And why me? (As if I needed something else to mess around with.) I've spent all my free time today spinning. It's coming out much smoother now. And my arms aren't hurting.

And the Twisted Sisters book? This way lies madness. Dark side, here I come.

Resistance is futile, or so they say.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OHhhh.You.Got.Bit.
I'm not gonna. Nope. Won't.
Not me.
(sigh)
Have a blast and let those of us who really can't get another compulsion started live vicariously thru your fun?
(((hugs)))

5:27 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

The time will come when all those lovely skeins of handspun suddenly start demanding to BECOME something. And then the knitting will strike again, and you will be torn between your two loves. Untill someone needs a quilt - just a qick simple baby quilt - And the garden will demand your attention, and before you know it you will need to start canning - Aren't you glad you'r not a pioneer? They had to do all this in whalebone corsets and without indoor plumbing!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Don't you dare get me started spinning, missy! (I have the twisted sisters book already....) It was all I could do to resist all that roving this weekend. It looks like you're having so much fun.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a slippery slope from here!
Glad you're enjoying the spinning. The sock workbook is a fantastic book. I still refer to it when I'm dyeing up rovings.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, it seems you're really bitten by the spinning bug now - how great, there'll be lots more goodies for us to see ;) I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much, and these books you got are certainly amazing (especially the Twisted Sisters one ;)

5:19 AM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Uh oh, you're headed down that slippery slope. Next thing you know you'll have a wheel!

Seeing you post about spinning almost made me pull out my spindle yesterday. I had to resist. I need to get that Christmas stole done. I can play with my spindle after Christmas!!!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home