PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Success!


More down time this weekend equalled one finished sock. It fits as perfectly as I could wish. Smooth and snug.

I thought for a while I would run out of yarn, but in the end I did have a fair amount left over.

Now, of course, all I have to do is start and finish the other one.

It may not be the Olympics (yet), but it still feels like a good accomplishment. The tiny needles really made an amazing difference in the fit and feel.

I'm ready for Sockapaloooza!

EDITED TO ADD:

Yarn: Kroy Socks 4 Ply, 50 g 192 yards, 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon, in Harris Tweed, which I bought cheap on sale in order to see what works for me.

Pattern: Traditional Ribbed Socks from Patons booklet "Classics in Kroy".

Needles: US Size Zeros, four DPNs, rather than the recommended Size Ones. I used bamboo needles, which I was not totally happy with. The needles didn't fall out of the work, but they held on to the stitches pretty tightly. I would like to be able to slide the yarn off the needles a little easier; I'm sure this slowed me up some. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Great sock! You've officially been bitten by the bug, I see. Keep up the good socks! Specs, please -- I'm a sucker for other people's sock yarn...

5:32 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hi again, Pat. When I get down that low, I use my Susan Bates aluminum needles ( they come in a set that goes down to 0000 I think -- never used that one). They do hold onto yarn like bamboo though, and they are sharp...but better than bamboo at that small gauge -- more solid feeling. I used them with summer cotton socks. Good luck and great socks...again...Sheesh. Do I do anything but read blogs?

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the knitter. Have you tried aluminum dpn's? They can be kind of slippery. Maybe your bamboo needles would get smoother if you rub them with waxed paper? I've heard of doing that. But I'm not an expert and I don't have any bamboo dpn's. But I'm going to soon! :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Your socks look so comfy. Kroy makes pretty good sock yarn that wears well. Kint on girl knit on..

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home