PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Officially Addicted



To socks, that is. I admit it, I have succombed, hook, line, and sinker. I am a fiend. I have insatiable, inexplicable cravings. Resistance is futile...

Here are the Jaywalkers. Or I should more properly say, the Jaywalker. After a short hiatus so that I could finish the baby sweater, Jaywalker is back in the rotation and fitting perfectly. I couldn't ask for anything better. Trek suggested that I pick up an extra three stitches with the gusset and it worked beautifully. Thanks, Trek! The colors are a little wild, no? The thing is, one of my favorite tops has these colors in it, but they don't seem quite as overwhelming as they do in the sock.




I took the Pumpkin yarn that I got in the Sisterhood Stash swap and started the Pumpkin Socks on Sunday. This Nature Spun fingering is really fine-gauge!! 310 yards in 50 grams. I am planning, so far, on doing the Harebell Lace pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks.



This is really fine gauge. I'm using Size 00 needles. The gauge is around 12-13 stitches per inch. I think I've lost it. Is this a serious addiction problem, or what? I'm not sure yet that this is going to work. I'm pretty sure, though, that a larger needle would make the fabric too loose. And I don't like loose. In other words, I'm not a loose woman. And don't you forget it. But I digress. If this works out, and I don't lose my mind -- or my eyesight -- it should make for an interesting challenge.


And then, of course, we have that which pushed me over the edge. That which transformed me from an okay, this is cool stuff sock knitter, to a raging, sock yarn hungry full blown addict. The Sockapaloooza socks I received, and THIS YARN!!


The socks I got from Songbird completely turned my head. I had to have more of this yarn. And this past Saturday, when I ran into the LYS in Tucson after the graduation JUST to get some circular needles, I found that they had started stocking new yarns. Including Trekking! Of which there was only a little left!! But there it was!!! The very color my socks had been knit from!!!! And I couldn't resist!!!!! Sorry, Abigail, I had to use my free day for SYAC. Because I HAD TO HAVE IT.



And since I was already buying sock yarn, some Lang Jawoll came home with me too.

The Trekking will be used for Trek Along With Me. I am going to use the Chevron pattern in Sensational Knitted Socks. And that will make three pairs of socks on the needles at once. Raging addiction, here I come!!


In other news, Ruth has received the Sisterhood box. Go check it out at The Sisterhood of the Travelling Stash weblog.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It dosn't take long to for a sock addiction to form. Love the colors of your Jaywalkers.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm so glad you've got the bug! The rest of us are always happy to watch someone else tumble down the hill. I really like your jaywalkers -- a ton -- and the pumpkin socks.. can't wait to see how the lace turns out. What a fun post, Pat!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm getting crazier by the minute about socks! I wonder if that Naturespun would make a good yarn for the Eleanora sock pattern that Mim designed. I need to check the gauge for her pattern. Naturespun is one of the few nicer yarns that my LYS actually does carry! Cool!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Hey pal, you are going to fall in love with the Trekking. It knits perfectly and gets softer and softer after each wash! I used a Nancy Bush pattern in the same blue and it's my favorite pair of socks! Take a silver star and be happy! You won't regret it:D

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your Jaywalker is coming along so fine, it seems you're going to beat me with the speed you're working on it! :) I'm also really curious to see how your Pumpkin socks will turn out - another one who got bitten by the sock bug! :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Don't you just love Trekking?!?! I can't wait to start the Trek Along with Me KAL! Must find the perfect pattern~~I had thought about usng the Chevron from SKS, too.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You might as well face it - it's the beginning of the end!

6:34 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

pat

The Trekking from Songbird is so lovely. Guess who wants some now? ME!
I love your Jaywalker sock colorway also. We never seem to tire of our socks. They are fun each time and so wonderful to wear and give.

Loved the Grad posts as well. Public Health is so important.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home