PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Glory Be!



It took two evenings of watching football and "Law and Order" to ply all the singles I had spun. This being after working twelve hour days. It ended up being slightly over an ounce of yarn once it was all plied.

Today I got off work early. I raced home to get the yarn off the spindle, wash it and hang it out to dry. It didn't take long in the warm afternoon sun. I kept going out to take it down, smoosh it in my hands, and then hang it up again. By four in the afternoon it was dry.






And it looked pretty good to me. It seemed pretty comparable to my sock yarns; it seems, on an average, to be running around 15 wpi. Of course, there is a lot that is uneven yet, but I am calling all the little odd sections "character traits". It really came out very similar to the Silky Wool that I used on my second Branching Out scarf, except a little bit more rustic. And that was exactly what I was hoping for.

I hauled out the ball winder and went for it, even though my arms were sore (and getting sorer) from receiving my flu shot and a pneumonia shot today. Glory be, it winds up just like a ball of real yarn!! And a lot quicker than it took to ply it, too.

But can it do what it's supposed to do?



Yup, I think it can.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

PAT! It's beautiful! It's beautiful! And that's a lot of yarn! Did you spin that on a spindle or wheel? How much yardage do you think is there? Did you weight it? YAY for YARN! hehe Spinning is SO fun and SO addictive. This just makes me want to abandon my knitting project and run to the kitchen and start spinning something - ANYTHING!! Congratulations to you. :)

9:35 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Beautiful, beautiful!! Yayyy Pat! Who gets this gorgeous, labor-intensive, handspun, handknit work of art? They will be wearing a TREASURE!!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh! This is really, really beautiful! I'm totally impressed by your work, you're off to an amazing start with spinning it seems!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

An amazing feat, Pat. Kudos! And I love it. You're making a gorgeous scarf.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Pat! The handspun looks great and so dosn't the start of the scarf!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Great spinning. It looks like it knits up very nicely.

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home