PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Friday, April 14, 2006

What Day Is It, Anyways?

Quite frankly, although I know it must be Friday, don't go by me. I've been working so much this week, and I'm so freakin' tired of it, and I really don't know what day it is. Some days I work my full 10 hour shift, and other days I work 6 or 7 hours; I have to keep my total under 60 hours for the week and it's going to be close. Just Saturday and Sunday to get through, and I finally get to have a day off! We are planning on going to Tucson for shopping purposes...Costco, Trader Joe's, and one of the yarn shops for me!! After all this work, I think I deserve a little yarn, no?

So it's been a busy week, and not just because of work. Monday was Maria's 20th birthday; no more teenager for this one! This picture was taken a couple years ago. Since she is away at school, we couldn't get together on the big day itself. Actually, we probably won't see her at all until Memorial weekend, by which time she will be halfway to her degree in Dental Hygiene.
Then Tuesday night, Annie was inducted into the National Honor Society. It was about time. She has applied many times, but for some reason was never accepted. I"m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that she never attended the meetings. And I'm sure that the fact that the meetings were held at 6:30 in the morning had nothing to do with why she didn't attend, either. What I am pretty sure of, though, is that it had something to do with the fact that she is going to graduate this May with a class ranking of #6 out of 586 students. Yay, Annie! Way to go!

Then, Wednesday night I finished the Sockapaloooza Socks. Yay for me! Thank you everyone who posted lovely comments about them. You all are so encouraging...or else you all decided to throw a party because I FINALLY finished them. ;-) I know I'm not the fastest knitter in blogland, but then I don't think most of you work the schedules I do, either. And, darn it all anyways, everyone else in the family still expects hot meals and clean clothes, to boot.



Well, even I in my sleep-deprived, what-day-is-it-and-who-cares attitude, know that today is Good Friday. And since I got off work at 12:30 (that's PM, not AM, although it felt like AM), I was able to go with the old man as he conducted Good Friday Stations of the Cross and the Communion Service - Celebration of the Lord's Passion. Roman Catholic technical terms. For those of you who may not have caught on to the fact, Joe is an ordained deacon in the Catholic Church, for almost three years now. He married our oldest son and his bride, and baptized their first child, our granddaughter. This afternoon he conducted the services at this beautiful shrine, Our Lady of the Sierras, in the mountains a short distance from our home.
He frequently conducts services here and has been doing the Good Friday service here for the last few years. Today was very cloudy and windy, but no rain fell on all the attendees. The service lasted a full two hours and was well attended by probably 60 to 70 people. The Stations of the Cross (sorry, no picture) are built up the side of the mountain and are a fairly strenous climb. Now tonight he is assisting with the same services at our parish church. He will be extremely busy the next couple of days, as well, with all the Easter services. It probably doesn't matter that I'm working both days this weekend, since he isn't going to be home much, either.

The shrine has a fantastic view looking across the valleys and mountains of the lower border of Arizona. Here you are actually looking into Mexico; the mountains there are in Mexico itself. It's a bit greener now than in this picture, but not by much, since we have had so little rain.

Joe and I wish you all a Happy and Blessed Easter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Ok, when do you have time to knit! Sheesh. What a beautiful spot for the Stations! Somehow I hadn't picked up on the fact that your hubby's a deacon. What a great thing...huge time committment, but the way our church will be going in the future I think. Good on you all. And congrats on the NHS honoree. Hard work to get there. Finally, you lose a teenager today and I gain one tomorrow...wierd connections we have Pat...dear daughter will be 13 at 4:11 a.m. this morning...kind of a circle of life thing, no? Happy Easter, Pat!

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about how fast or slow you knit. It's all about the process right? What beautiful place for Good Friday services. Have a Happy Easter!

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home