PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Now my feet are wet


I have finished my first ever knitted hat! Many thanks to Susan posting the directions for the top-down hat, also known as the "Live Dangerously, No Swatching Hat".

I am quite happy with the results. It fits just fine, although the next time I knit this -- and there will definitely be a next time -- I want to make it about an inch shorter and a little snugger. I am also going to use the four needle increase and get a flatter top to the hat, although mine has turned out fairly flat as it is, once I am wearing it.




I used a variation of moss stitch for the sides. K1, P1 for two rows, then P1, K1 for the next two rows, repeating these four rows for the pattern. I really enjoy simple knit/purl patterns. Now that the hat bug has bit, I think I will have ample opportunity to play with patterns in the future.

I want to thank Ann for taking the time to refer me to Knitty and the Branching Out scarf in her comments to my last post. Especially since I'm sure she took time out of getting ready for Thanksgiving to get the information for me! I had already started exploring the patterns on Knitty and would do more, except that I'd probably get really involved, lose all track of time, and civilization as we know it around here in PumpkinKnitter land would bite the dust. Literally. I have gone over to check out Ann's blog and I'm going to have to add it to my must-read list.

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh moss stitch, I wish I had thought of that! LOL! Guess I'll have to start up a 2nd hat now. ;)

10:03 PM  
Blogger kt said...

Nice hat! I'm in Mesa, and we were just over your way visiting relatives in Three Points for Turkey Day. How about a One Skein-Wonder for the Brown Sugar skein? Google "Glampyre" and you'll find the link for her site and the pattern--and here's my blog-addicted tips; check out Mason-Dixon knitting (Kay and Ann are a hoot!) And yarnstorm--Jane's bit of England each day is a delight. Nice to hear from another AZ blogger!

8:36 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

What a wonderful hat. Hooray .

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home