PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Something Old is New Again

Don't get me wrong here now. I really like my bottom whorl spindle. I know that most folks are using a top whorl, and most of the written literature is about top whorls, but I really like my bottom whorl. I'm getting some nice fine singles on it, exactly what I want to do, and even though one of these days I will probably get a top whorl spindle, I REALLY like my bottom whorl.

But there is one drawback. I've got a bunch of roving now, very nice Ashland Bay stuff, and I really want to spin more. And the spindle takes time. A lot of time, and so I haven't managed to spin much up yet. And I'm getting really tempted by a lot of the rovings that I'm seeing on your blogs. I've been clicking on the links all you enablers provide and there was a lot of heavy salivating over the Rhinebeck posts. Something has been crying out to be done about all this. So this week, some definite action was taken.

Say hello to my almost-30-year-old Ashford Traditional, newly refurbished thanks to the local shop which, in addition to lots of undyed rovings, carries Ashford wheels and maintenance kits. With about 15 minutes work and a goodly amount of lubricating oil, I was ready to see how much I remembered.

It took a few false starts and some adjusting of brake bands and tensions, but in fairly short order I was on my way and the wheel was humming along. Now the practise I had put in with the drop spindle was making a big difference, since I found it very easy to draft the roving as I treadled away.

The new spinning is pretty good, I think, for my first Friday Night Spinning with the wheel. I think I will need to get more twist into the singles, but all things considered, I am quite pleased with this. I have lots of the white roving to practise with before I start working with the Ashland Bay. Who knows, maybe I'll complete the slide into the Dark Side and dye some of the white singles once I've plied them up.

See what you all have done to me?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

But there is such great company on this side of the darkness;-) Welcome to the vortex. Your spinning looks fabulous and that Ashland Bay is as addictive as the process of spinning it. I'm smiling with glee over your conversion;-)

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great - congratulations! I think that was a great decision - and seeing your spinning with it definitely makes me drool - it's fabulous!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh I'm so jealous:-) I am still trying to make up my mind which wheeel to buy. I nearly have enough money - I should be able to order one next month. It is just a case of which one - there are so many lovely wheels out there :-)

4:15 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Yayyyyy!!!! Oh yes, dye up the plied yarn. If you like mottled yarn, dye the singles and ply two shades together. What fun, what fun! And really, when you get over here, you realize it's still the same side, only more so.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you've done it! The wheel looks great and so dosn't your singles. Happy Spinning!

1:43 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

She doesn't look a day over 20!

(and I bet she is happy to be up and spinning around again!)

Lovely post!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

YIPPEE!!! Hooray!!! Pat I can feel your excitement and enthusiasm! I'm with Margene: Smiling with glee over the reunion with your beautiful wheel. Oh to feel happinesss like that more often... it has to be good for the soul. I do so so so SO love to spin. Thanks for telling about this. I'll be offering hand painted rovings soon! heheh

11:45 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Oh Pat, you lucky, lucky girl!!! I had to give up the spindle as it really, really took its toll on my hands. I loved spinning, but I truly did suffer for it. Made knitting after next to impossible. So I've had to give spinning up for the time being....... Now, if I had a wheel, that wouldn't be necessary. Have loads of fun for those of us who can't!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home