PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Slug Days of Summer

What is it with the sluggish feelings these days? Is it the combination of heat and humidity? Perhaps it's all the rain -- no, I enjoy the rain. And we certainly need it. Maybe it's the creeping nature of growing older. Maybe it's just a Blogger thing. I know I can't be the only blogger having trouble uploading my pictures. I couldn't upload about half the pictures I wanted for the latest chapter of LittleLace. And today was no exception. It's a constant struggle lately.

But the sluggishness continues. It's a constant effort to force myself to exercise; I feel good when I do it regularly, but if I miss a couple days, total inertia has set in. And it's a bear to throw it off. Knitting still continues, but it seems to take forever to finish anything. Case in point: one ballband dishcloth that took two months. Alright, it was lost in a deep corner for a while. But still.

So now a new MDK project presents itself. A Baby Genius burp cloth, chugging along. I didn't realize until about half way through that I would need a second ball to make this big enough, and wouldn't you know, in all the cotton yarn I picked up, I got doubles of everything except this one. Necessitating an early morning trip to Wally World today, early so that I would miss the back-to-school shoppers. And of course, I picked up the second ball and four more of other colors. I'm so weak.

In other news, the first Trekking Sock is done. This is the Chevron Sock from Sensational Knitted Socks; I added two extra stitches to each pattern repeat and it fits perfectly. Knit on size 1 needles. No, the second sock is not on the needles yet. These are slug days, remember?

The Harebell Lace - Pumpkin Socks - Baby Lace socks are coming along slowly. I think my eyes are getting used to the fine gauge, because they don't hurt as much as they used to when I would work on these. But I still only do about six rows at a time. I am seriously debating about stopping the pattern at the bottom of the leg and switching to a very plain rib pattern on the foot or else just stockinette, rather than continuing the pattern all the way to the toes. I know it would be nice to continue the pattern, but I am thinking that I might like a snugger fit in the foot. The lace pattern is not real snug. So I am soliciting all your opinions. You all have probably been knitting socks longer than I have, so I am eager for some input.

Finally, I am trying to do some work each day on Megan LittleLace -- Branching Out. It would be nice to finish this also by the end of the month, especially since the lace socks won't be done for quite a while. The FrogTree Alpaca fingering weight is really soft and knitting up beautifully.

Now it will be time to write the last Chapter of LittleLace. So what will be the fate of the LittleLace family?

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Wow, for slug days you sure get a lot done! Love the treking socks and you make the harebell lace look pretty -- not so in the book. And ... right there with you on the warshrags, baby. My third is on the needles as well. No fires or anything crazy near you is there?

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trekking socks look great and the harebell lace socks are gorgeous!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Lovely Megan! Oh the fate of the LittleLace family has to be a happy one...Please?
(((hugs)))

6:24 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh now Pat, look at all you have done. No wonder you are tired. The trekking sock is awesome. I am hoping to get some at Stitches on Friday. THe pumpkin sock in lace is magnificent. THe dishcloths and burpcloths are so nice.

I suggest some good naps after you do your workout. Mmmmmm, I need my naps!

3:00 PM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

I know exactly what you mean - I just can't get motivated - it's still so hot in the evenings even!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Pretty Trekking sock!!! I have Trekking on my list to buy from birthday loot :o)

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your dishcloths and Megan, but your socks totally rock, they're so amazing - especially the orange ones! May I ask where you've found the pattern for it?
And I do know exactly what you mean, I'm feeling so sluggish, actually really lazy, lately too, don't get anything done it seems. First it's been due to the extremely hot weather, now it's probably due to two weeks of rain - or is it really the fact that we're all getting a tad older day by day? But hey, we'll be back in action soon, don't you think? ;)

2:47 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Save your sainity and work a simple stockinette foot. Lace does not always feel nice on the foot. The leg of the sock looks very pretty.

As you know dishcloths are a perfect cure for the summer blues. Knit 'em lot's of 'em...

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home