PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Didja See It on the News?



My folks in Michigan did.

We came back home from the Canyon on Monday to unpack the trailer and repack for our trip to Boston/Providence. On Tuesday afternoon we drove up to Phoenix to spend the night with Joe's mom. Just north of Tucson we drove into a massive rainstorm. There was so much rain, the desert looked like a lake with the cactus sticking up out of it. There were WAVES of water on the highway. I had been knitting on the Trekking Sock but got way too nervous to continue with it. Annie was driving and had a heck of a time trying to see the lane markers on the road. This went on for miles. Finally it looked like the sky was clearing. We came out of the rain, only to head right into this huge dust storm. Visibility was next to nothing in spots. It was the worst weather we have ever driven through. Finally we came out of it about 30 miles south of Phoenix. We were able to get back up to full speed on the highway, but the storm was literally chasing us. These pictures I took don't even begin to tell how scary it was. We got to Nana's house and pulled into the garage, quickly unpacked the car and closed everything up with about five minutes to spare before the storm finally caught us again. At least this time we were safely in the house. Apparently this was a real record-breaker of a dust storm. We were unquestionably lucky to come through it okay.



Tonight we are in Providence. It's been raining here, but I think the chances of another dust storm are pretty slim. It's a fairly long flight from Phoenix to Providence. I got a little wild and crazy and brought some Peaches and Cream yarn and worked on a warshrag. Perfect plane knitting. And I think my nerves have finally recovered, although I can still see that huge wall of dust chasing us.

Move to Arizona, anyone?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this really looks extremely scary, what a nightmare it must have been to drive through it! Fortunately you arrived home safely!

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that's terrible. So glad that you made it home safely!

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, virtually BIBLICAL weather! What awesome photos you got - from a speeding car no less! I would have just pulled over and wept. You are brave pioneers! I bet there will be an ocean of wildflowers on that soggy stretch of desert soon. Maybe even in time for your return.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Holy Cow, Pat! I thought tornados were scary. That thing looks like it would growl! Glad you're safe and sound.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad you made it through safely! I read about it on the AOL welcome page.

8:53 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Yes, I did see it on the news. Fascinating amazing weather. I think I need your warshrag pattern. may I, when you return?

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home