PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Random Musings

Another blogger gone missing in action for more than a week! Actually, I think I've been in a sort-of-end-of-winter-not-quite-spring funk. Our weather has been going from lovely and warm to windy, cold, and wet and back again. And I finally went over to our new building to check things out, and that didn't help the funk. The building is no where near finished, is very badly laid out, and has more wasted space than a body could imagine. Now I understand why for weeks now I have been hearing how awful the design is. No one is happy about it. In the meantime, we are still in our old office, but everyone else has moved to the new complex (their new digs are lovely, bright, airy, and enviable!) and we are stuck in an old building that is falling apart and which no one will spend the time or money to fix. Such is progress.



A year ago last weekend, Joe had his "mini-stroke". This was on our minds a lot last weekend, of course. I'm pleased to say that his health is excellent and that whole episode seems to be safely behind us now. And I can also say that now, a year later, it really did affect our lives; now there is none of this "Someday we'll do this or that or whatever". Someday is now, today, and if we want to travel or do something, it's time to plan it and do it. No more putting things off for us. Life is fragile and precious and nothing should be put off if it can be done now.
I've been working a bit on Joe's sock; I'd like to say that I'm racing towards the toe on the first one, but it's halting progress at best. Although I am getting pretty close to the toe shaping. I've been spending a lot of time lately raking up the yard and going through old papers and files. When we were in the military and moving every few years, it was easy to keep things from piling up; sooner rather than later I would have to throw out all the junk before the movers showed up.
Now we have been in one spot for 12 years and the "stuff" has become unmanageable. So the garbage can has been pretty darn full every pickup day for the last couple weeks. And after a day of sorting crap, I've been looking for some low-key knitting, and finding myself picking up the sock yarn log cabin blanket. The colors have been very soothing and the simple garter stitch has been suitably mindless. Very relaxing.
I haven't picked up the Icarus Shawl for quite a while now. And spinning has become a Friday night only event. In my carry-around bag are the makings for a hat for 40 Days For Others. In the past two days at work I've managed to get a couple inches done on it. Prior to starting the hat, I've been making myself a pair of Fetching mitts; I've managed to complete one mitt in the odd moments at work when nothing else is going on.
The yarn is Malabrigo, in the Sunset color, I think...I absolutely adore the softness of this yarn. Once I'm done with my 40 Days knitting, I'm sure I'll make the other mitt, but there's no hurry. Spring is fast approaching and I can't see a need for hats and mitts lasting much longer. The rose bushes and the trees are trying to bud. Soon it will be time to head to the garden center and pick up some annuals for the flower beds. Certainly in time for Easter!









Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

I wish spring was on the way - not here that's for sure!
Good for you and Joe - enjoy! You are very fortunate.
It looks like I too will be moving offices - will be much closer to home, but not in beautiful Camp Sherman - which I will really miss. Oh well - it's a job!

9:02 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

In that blanket, I especially love the way the solid blue makes the other colors look like a spiral going up into the sky. Maybe that's what Jacob's ladder looks like from the bottom.

Sorting paper? Oh my gosh, I have GOT to finish the taxes!!

Bummer about the new office. Good luck on the move when it happens.

Blessings on Joe and thanks to God for past year!!

7:46 AM  
Blogger margene said...

It's great to see you post. What a mess to have new digs that won't be suitable. Hope it can be fixed some how when you finally move in.
Joe's socks are fabulous and how wonderful to hear he's doing well. Enjoy your weekend...you deserve it!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad Joe is in good health! The sock and log cabin look great!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home