PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Oh my. Glorious!

No, no, NOT the bathroom. The Garden!!









Last night was the worst. The bathroom was completely gutted, including the ceiling. The autopsy was complete, and body parts were strewn everywhere. I refused to look at it. All I could think was that the contractor would show up in the morning and say, Hey, can't help you, and leave us with a bloody disaster that would never, ever, get fixed. Of course that's not what happened. Today the rebuilding started and tonight new insulation, new electrical wiring, new lights and fan and ducting are in place. Tomorrow the walls go back in and on Monday the tiling should begin. I have hope again.

The county fair opened today, but without me. Darn work interferes with everything! Barbara came with me last night to drop off my entries and we wandered around a bit before heading home. Lots of chickens and 4H pigs and of course the sheep and goats. Lots of kids milling about. 4H and the Fair are a pretty big deal and lots of kids from the rural areas don't go to school this week. After all, it's time to bring their livestock to the Fair!! And this fair is definitely centered on the 4H kids. It's a real county fair with politicians and goats and everything. Lots of Mexican food and Indian Fry Bread. Lots of rides, of course, but we don't go for that stuff. In the Home Arts building, I peeked around a bit after I dropped off the pile of knits. Someone had entered a basket with 52 (you read that right) hand-spun skeins of alpaca. The skeins weren't very big, but they were all obviously hand dyed as well and every one was a different color! The spun yarn seemed a bit coarse to me (as if I were a judge of anything), but it was certainly impressive. A card attached to the basket stated that the yarn was for a vest, Fair Isle I'm sure. There seemed to be a number of other handspun skeins as well, making for a bunch of entries.

Judging was today and usually takes up most of the day. I won't be going back until Sunday, the last day, when I have to pick everything up anyways. So you will have to wait until then, along with me, to see what transpires.

In the meantime, Roxie, I will be showering in the garden with a hose and I'm actually thinking of the Porta-John in the driveway as a real design fixture. JUST KIDDING!!! Fortunately there are two other bathrooms in the house, otherwise I would have moved into a hotel. So it's back to the MKD knitting for now. One of these days life will get back to normal. Until then, there's always garter stitch!

8 Comments:

Blogger Zana said...

Mmmm... Indian Fry Bread... yummy. Now where's a pregnant girl in New England susposed to get her hands on fry bread at 2am? :-) The fair sounds like fun, good luck with all your entries. I love the scarf you did a couple of years ago an

11:25 PM  
Blogger Zana said...

oopsy got cut off there... Any way I was just going to mention the scarf that you gave you daughter-in-law a while back, just beautiful!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Stress and MDK -- go together like milk and chocolate. Take care -- the construction won't be too much longer, will it? I wish I had a lovely garden like yours to bask in.

6:15 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Showering in the garden with a hose. . . . I keep trying to paint that mental image, and I just don't seem to have the right pigments on my pallet. I can not see a grown woman putting up with that in September. Actually, I was thinking about those trips behind the bushes with a roll of paper and a shovel. I know people who have rented an RV just to have indoor plumbing during a remodel.

May your contractor be deft and speedy!!

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Garden pics! I love local fairs. Hope you have a good time on Sunday and good luck with your entries and your bathroom!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

What exactly is the type of flower on the lower right? Two heads of yellow and pink/red, with two small balls of blue and leaves between!!! Really unusual!

I've enjoyed reading your blog, which I found during the Amazing Lace. You were quite entertaining, and different from all others I read there (although by no means did I ever get to everyone!).

Thanks,

Jan

2:31 PM  
Blogger Pat K said...

Jan, that's called lantana. It comes in all different color combinations. I have this orange-red-yellow one, which grows to about five feet and very bushy. I have a plain purple and a yellow, both of which grow out, not up. Then I also have a purple-pink-yellow one, actually three or four of those, which grows very tall but not very bushy. It dies back in winter and sprouts up again in the spring. Thanks for commenting!

4:08 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh a sunday Post with ribbons I hope! Im waiting.....hoping...

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home