PumpkinKnitter

The adventures of a knitting grandmother

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

She spins, she knits, she blogs about it all.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Honeymooners



It was a perfectly lovely getaway weekend. We flew out to LA (no problem with my bamboo circulars) on Friday morning and snuck aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas for a two day sail to Mexico and back. In honor of our anniversary, I took along that other honeymooning couple, Magda and Jay Walker. It was about time they both saw some real wear time, instead of just posing for blog pictures.

Magda was worn to the Captain's Gala, and Jay Walker saw some service on my laps around the ship. You can't really tell, but it was fairly windy while we were out on the water. Sunday actually was quite cool, and a light jacket (and socks!) came in handy. We went ashore and saw some impressive Baja coastline, and enjoyed some fish tacos at a little shack nearby. (First time for fish tacos, and yes, they were very good, especially topped with lime juice and pickled onions and jalapenos.)


Knitting accomplishments? Not really very much. I took along my Trekking socks, but ended up tinking a lot; the light inside the ship wasn't always very condusive to size 1 needles, and when I was outside I kept getting distracted by all the goings on and forgetting which pattern row I was on. I did start a garterlac dishcloth, and got about half done. Abigail had the link to Dave's pattern on her blog a little while ago, and it seemed to me that this would be a good quick and dirty way to learn how to do entrelac. So far, so good; I am enjoying the bit of complexity in this.

Of course, I am way behind again in my Bloglines. Annie did get moved out to school, but for some reason the garage doesn't look any emptier. Oh, well, that's the project for the weekend coming up. I will be glad when we have Nana's boxes and things all sorted out and put away. Everytime I walk in the closet I see all the yummy yarns I've gotten lately and my fingers start itching to start something new. I have to stay away from the good old LYS for a while though, I think, at least through August and September. All those start of school and college year fees and requirements!!!

Oh, by the way, on the way out of the harbor on Friday we saw filming going on for the next "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie. It was really pretty cool; there is no way one cannot recognize that ship. Too far away to really see anything, though. Pity.

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Look at that cute couple! Glad you got to sneak away. Looks like a lovely time.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such lovely photos, what a happy couple you guys seem to be! It seems you had a fantastic time on your trip, how great!
I'm still absolutely amazed that it's obviously no problem bringing needles - at least bamboo ones - on planes overseas. Over here I didn't have a chance in hell bringing mine, even before all that horror with the latest terror threats happened - and now you probably won't even get into the airport itself with needles over here. What a horror - but then again, pretty much understandable! Anyhoo, I'm glad you had such a great time away - welcome back!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip.Glad you had a good time! How cool you got to see where Priates was being filmed!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

What a GREAT way to celebrate your anniversary! And you two look so happy...(sigh)
Between your Amazing Lace saga and now this - you really should be writing romance novels for a living, ya know?
(((hugs)))

6:06 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh Pat you both look wonderful. Sounds like a very fun trip.

I LOVE when we run into filming of a movie of anykind.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Bliss said...

Sounds like a lovely trip! (I'm jealous.)

11:53 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Doncha just LOVE cruising?

You look so lovely and hapy. And your DH, like all men, looks faintly embarassed. Bless his heart.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ahhhhh - one day we'll take a cruise. Your pictures always amaze me - just breathtaking!! Have I told you yet "Happy Anniversary!!"? :)

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home