1. Humidity in the desert is really nasty. Bodies that are used to no humidity the other ten months of the year do not suddenly adapt well to humidity in the 90's. The storms come and nothing dries out from day to day. Everything and everyone is morbidly soggy.
2. We have had big storms each day this week. There is a lot of standing water in between, but during the storms the water rushes away in flood stage and there is nowhere to escape. All the grasshoppers from the last few weeks have disappeared. The ones the birds didn't eat have probably been washed away. There isn't a grasshopper to be seen now.
3. One of the good things about the rain is that every growing thing turns amazingly lush and green. However, it's hard to photograph during a downpour.
4. Buddy is a wuss about rain. He doesn't mind walking through puddles, but he hates the feel of raindrops hitting his head. He keeps going from the front door to the back door, probably hoping that the rain in the front yard isn't falling in the back yard. His disgust at the whole situation is patently obvious.
5. We spent the last two days car shopping/buying. We usually run our cars into the ground. One of the oldest ones was nearly in the grave and it was beyond time to replace it. After several hours we were finally successful. But it was exhausting, as everyone who has shopped for a decent used vehicle knows.
6. I really dislike car shopping.
7. I am fortunate to have a family who, on the whole, is willing to try new recipes for dinner. Tonight for the first time I made polenta. It was eaten and a number of suggestions (reasonable ones!) made for tweaking it to suit the preferences of the diners. It will certainly be tried again.
8. Work is improving. Suggestions for improved safety and convenience have been listened to and acted upon. However, the air conditioning still doesn't work and the roof still leaks. Last Friday afternoon there was a lightning strike somewhere very close and the result was the loss of all computers, office phones, and other functions. It took nearly 24 hours to be repaired. For 24 hours very little got accomplished. Total reliance on computers for all office functions can really backfire.
9. I've been told I'm getting a raise in August. This should be interesting.
10. All the recent family health issues are either resolved or are getting there. Contrary to some earlier opinions, no one's health has been permanently affected.
11. My good knitblogging friend Kathy has nominated me to be a Rockin' Girl Blogger. Pretty cool to be a grandmother AND a Rockin' Girl Blogger. (No, I don't think Kathy was refering to a rocking chair, either! ;-) ) So I know I'm supposed to nominate five other bloggers for the honor. Julie, Annie, Roxie, Dipsy, and Laura all get my vote, even if they've already been nominated by others. Honestly, every blogger I read is a Rockin Blogger! So if no one's nominated you yet, consider yourself tagged by me! And thank you, Kathy, for making my day!
12. Maria went to the Grand Canyon a week ago. She took this picture in mid afternoon with the storm clouds rolling in. There is nowhere to escape!!!
Especially if you're a grasshopper.